RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Why did one UPS warning go off, but not the other?

Rod at home

I've got two Tripp Lite UPS's in my home, one on each of two desktop computers. Last night we experienced a power glitch; most clocks lost the time, etc. The UPS's appeared to have handled it well, but only one of them had it's warning light go off. Why is that?

There should be a self test function built in the software.

Sent from my Lumia 925 using Tapatalk

Or your model may have a test button:

• Like 1

Yes, most UPS' have a way to put them through a self-test cycle. It's a good thing to do periodically.

That said, pulling the plug is the ultimate test. You should do it a couple times a year to ensure that your server does shut down gracefully.

• Like 1

Yeah, definitely should do the self test every six months, at least. To make sure they work properly, and that the battery is in good shape.

• 1 month later...

I find it's convenient to schedule these things on some significant date that's easy for me to remember. In my case, I do several maintenance items on my birthday (yeah, yeah, I know, I have no life, I need a hobby, yada, yada, yada :P ).

I've checked my TrippLite UPS, but it doesn't have a test or self-test button. All it has is two buttons, one for power and the other to mute the alarm.

What about the TrippLite's management software? I hope there is some. If so, it might very well have the Self-Test.