RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Boot from the 5th drive

kwyjibo

Hi,

I'm planning to build a NAS using a N54L, and I tried to figure out if this configuration is possible: I'd like to use the coldswap bays for the "big" drives, and use the odd sata port to connect the factory drive with the OS (a Windows variation, don't know if WHS 2011 or other). But I can't find if I will be able to boot from the drive connected in the odd sata port without problem. Also, in the coldswap bays I plan to build two RAID 1 arrays. Does anyone know if this would work? Maybe I need to install the BIOS mod?

Thanks in advance.

Yes it works fine. The stock bios will work. When you hook a drive up to that port, you will go into the bios at boot, and move that drive up in the boot order. You will be doing this anyway when you hook a CD drive to that port to install the OS to a drive in one of the bays, since you will want to boot from the CD drive. Then do it again when you move the OS drive to that port. After that, it will boot from that drive.

As to the RAID configuration, I can't help there. I use a drive pool for redundancy instead of RAID.

Cool!

I was afraid that some kind of limitation may exists. I have an HP Proliant ML110 G7, and the RAID controller is driving me crazy, because it only allows two logical drives, and it can only boot from slot 1, but as the microserver uses a total different raid controller I think it will be fine :)

I believe there is 1 limitation: the ODD SATA port will operate at SATA I speed (1.5Gb). The Mod BIOS makes it possible to step the port up to SATA II speed (3Gb).

• 4 weeks later...

my windows installation refused to work after moving the system drive (ssd) to the ODD sata port. the system booteup, but ended in a BSOD, so I had to move it back to the coldswap bay