RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N40L: Raid1 & 1 single SSD?

anibalin

Here is the situtation guys.

I have this N40L with a raid1 with two 500gb drives. Everything is silk smooth. Now I want to add a single 240ssd drive that would host a virtual os blah blah and installed it in the third bay. 

bay1: 500gb

bay2: 500gb

bary 3: ssd

The thing is that the bios and the raid bios can see the ssd drive as a single drive but windows does not.

I entered the raid bios to put <raid ready> on the ssd and started the fast initialization. Booted to windows and diskmgmt does not see the drive. I started the AMD raid utility and I can only see the raid1 configuration. SSD doesnt even appears as a physical drive.

I said screw it and installed the ssd on the onboard sata port. Again the raid controller lifts it as port 5 and Windows (server 2012), for some reason, again, does not sees the drive. 

Been struggling for two days with this.

Why the OS / amd raid utility does not see the drive?

Have you experienced this before?

Im really puzzled as I dont know what to do next.

I will flash the nov 2013 bios tomorrow.

Thanks in advance. 

Do you know for sure this is a good working drive?  Why is this even considered to be gong through the controller?

Well I tried with another ssd drive, a 60gb and it worked ok without any modifications on bios /etc.

Then I tried a dvd drive and worked ok too. 

Then I plugged the ssd again, a crucial m500 240gb and didnt work. I tried a m500 120gb and guess... didnt work either.

wth?

I will get a samsung 240gb tomorrow. 

crucial m500 are not compatible or something? I even upgraded the firmware on this ssd.

So odd.

Well, SSDs have created other issues for people as well, on a variety of systems. For some reason, it appears manufacturers are sometimes not making their SSDs fully HDD compliant. What I mean is, the SSDs don't completely mimic how an HDD behaves.

Well, SSDs have created other issues for people as well, on a variety of systems. For some reason, it appears manufacturers are sometimes not making their SSDs fully HDD compliant. What I mean is, the SSDs don't completely mimic how an HDD behaves.

Will report back tomorrow with Samsung SSD. Thanks :)

I've never had an issue with Crucial's M500 disks.  Have you tested it in another system?

I currently have two M500 240GB drives in my Gen8.

I wonder if it's just an incompatibility with the chipset- for example, the new Haswell chipset doesn't play nice with first-generation Sandforce-based drives (Vertex 2, for example)