RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Adding Survaillance Fucntionality to HP N54L

Bmouthboyo

IP cameras are absolutely the future of surveillance systems. They're pretty much the only way to get the kind of resolution that many people, and ALL police departments, want (COAX analog just loses too much quality over long runs, which are common).

So can anyone advise on what VMS software they use in their server? And how they set it up? Ie constant recording? Event driven? Web server for viewing? Dedicated hard drive or just folder/partition?

Cheers

Blue Iris seems to be working great with my IP camera so think I will purchase the full license. Hopefully it is easy to expand the system with different branded cameras.

When I install blue iris on my server (mate bringing it over in few weeks) do I just make it a schedule to load when the server boots up?

So can anyone advise on what VMS software they use in their server? And how they set it up? Ie constant recording? Event driven? Web server for viewing? Dedicated hard drive or just folder/partition?

Cheers

I wouldn't set it up for constant recording; that could chew up enormous amounts of disk space. It also can make reviewing video way more tedious by having to go through 90% non-event video to get to the 10% where something is happening. Motion and possibly audio detection should be plenty.

I've got a "follow" on this boyo... so keep us updated on how you progress... recommendations ... pitfalls to avoid....  and some pics... of course  :)

If I see anything of interest on my interweb wanderings I'll push it your way

What's your CPU and I/O usage like?

My primary concern with the N54L would be if you're using it for media storage and surveillance simultaneously, that the storage I/O performance may be an issue.  You can resolve this at least in part with the appropriate hard drives, but using a caching RAID controller like the Smart Array P212 or P410 would improve things further, and would also ensure you have redundancy (RAID-5) to protect you from a single disk failure.

LoneWolf makes good points. The real concern with video surveillance recording is the number of cameras (i.e. the number of video channels), the resolution and frame rate being used for each channel, and the I/O performance of the computer being used to hold the recordings. If you check the specs of most NVRs, you will see a value for 'total bandwidth' (or something similar). Basically, it specifies the aggregate capacity of the server. For example, some Honeywell NVRs have a spec of 480fps total -- it's up to the user to decide how to divide that up. If you want 32 cameras, the fastest frame rate you could have would be 15fps. With only 16 cameras, it would be possible to have 30fps.

There are some other caveats with the Honeywell NVRs. They have a calculator on their website that takes these into account.