RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

RadioShack 42-Range Digital Multimeter $13

schoondoggy

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be curious to know how many people took advantage of this one and what they ended up getting.  I know a bunch of people that ordered it and so far the results are pretty bad.  I'm going to collect everyone's results and post them here.  The company says they accept returns but at $13 total cost, the cost to return might not be worth it.

Basically, our guess so far is that someone came upon a pallet of customer returned units, thought they were new and are selling them as such.

Feedback #1 (me):  Box was pretty weathered.  Came without a battery door.  Didn't try it yet.  Need to do a better evaluation after hearing a couple others.

Feedback #2: Box was also worn.  Obviously used for a while.  Scratches on plastic and LCD bezel, scratches and dings on dial, resistance and capacitance not functional.

Feedback #3 (bought 3 of them):  Emailed with issues but awaiting details.

Feedback #4: waiting...

More to come...

Jaz

Edited by Jazman

Mine is yet to arrive... maybe still a couple of weeks out. I hope that I somehow, by some luck, get a good unit.

I'd be curious to know how many people took advantage of this one and what they ended up getting.  I know a bunch of people that ordered it and so far the results are pretty bad.  I'm going to collect everyone's results and post them here.  The company says they accept returns but at $13 total cost, the cost to return might not be worth it.

Basically, our guess so far is that someone came upon a pallet of customer returned units, thought they were new and are selling them as such.

Feedback #1 (me):  Box was pretty weathered.  Came without a battery door.  Didn't try it yet.  Need to do a better evaluation after hearing a couple others.

Feedback #2: Box was also worn.  Obviously used for a while.  Scratches on plastic and LCD bezel, scratches and dings on dial, resistance and capacitance not functional.

More to come...

Jaz

Good info.

Everything I have order from them has been as advertised, but really slow shipping.

More to come...

Jaz

Updates:  I was going to just edit the original post, but I guess I can't do that...

#1:  Seems to work ok.  Tried DC voltage, resistance, and capacitance and works ok.  Aside from the battery door, but I got something that will work from another source (#2).  So all good.

#2:  Requested an RMA.  They just ended up crediting his money and he didn't need to send it back.  At least he got a nice set of lead-wires for his trouble.  In the end this one came out ok.

#3:  2 matched but the 3rd was different.  First 2 seem in good shape.  3rd had different internal packaging and was definitely opened.  But, after checking it out, all seems good.  So, good here.

#4:  No issues.  Seems new but functionality not tested.  Good here from what we know.

So, no complaints with the site.  They stood by and took care of the truly egregious one.  I got the battery door off of that one so I'm good.  In the end, it seems to have worked out ok.

Just wanted to close the loop.

Jaz

My order finally came through. My observations are as follows:

1. The box had a lot of creases and evidently, has been opened and closed several times

2. The multitester along with the test leads were loosely packed inside the box with just a single plastic bag. No padding whatsoever, which make it rattle

3. Scuff marks on the display and some parts of the unit... likely caused by the test leads rubbing against it

4. It powers up, thankfully. I have measured voltage, continuity and resistance, all three of which seems to work fine, but I still have to do a more comprehensive testing at home

20140411_114821_Android_zps02371681.jpg

20140411_115018_Android_zps28a1d879.jpg