RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How to Extend C: to fill hard drive

erlewis

WHS2011 installed on a 160GB HD with C: and D: drive partitions.  I want to move the contents of D: partition to a RAID 5 drive E:,

Then delete D: partition  then extend the C: drive partition to fill the 160 GB drive.

I worry about WHS having paths to drive D: so what if:

I stop WHS service.

Copy contents of D: to E: using Windows Explorer

delete the D: partition

change the RAID 5 E: drive letter to D:

restart WHS.

Does this work?  I cannot recall if I did this on another build last year.

The alternative that was tested and documented by  John Keller is:

enter WHS Dashboard and  Server Folders and Hard Drives -> Server Folder -> for each folder on D: -> select folder -> move folder  to E:

Server is left with drive C: and drive E:  This method was tested and rigorously documented in the  Connected Digital  World post.  But it bothers me a bit to leave drive D: unassigned and the server configured in a "non-standard" way because who knows what hard coded path I will encounter down the road.

Which method works best?

(Why doesn't any form of paste seem to work for me?)

I would try your first scenario.

Back everything up.

I tend to use Paragon software. I would use Drive Copy to move D: to E: then Partition Manager to delete the old D: and re-size C: and validate that the RAID partition is now D:

You can only paste text into a forum post, pictures need to be uploaded through a service. I use https://imageshack.com.

If you are on a Windows 8 PC, I have had issues pasting text from IE in Win8.

Congrats on the Badger win!

I agree, use the Move function so you don't break any functionality. Once you reboot and don't see any errors in the Dashboard, then delete the D partition and extend C.

I agree with jmwills & diehard. The Move function of the Dashboard is MS' approved way to relocate folders. I would use it. Then, you should be able to use Disk Manager  to delete the D: partition and extend the C: partition. Be careful though; I've had issues extending the C: partition, depending on its format.

I agree, use the Move function so you don't break any functionality. Once you reboot and don't see any errors in the Dashboard, then delete the D partition and extend C.

This a few days ago...... Sunday..... works a dream :)

Edited by Essexraptor