RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hyper V Core booted from USB on N54L under workgroup enviroment without client management, how to load software to server?

news70

Hello Forum ,

I have a N54L with Hyper V core 2012 booted from the internal USB port  -- I  don't have windows 8 or windows server 2012 on my PC/laptop therefore I won't be able to use the RSAT tool supplied by MS  to manage the server. 

I learned that I can use a software called Corefig to manage the server (on server ) however I need to install the software on Hyper V server first ,  now the server is up and running and I can remote desktop  to the server however there is no build-in browser or something I can load the software to , only command line .   I also tried to plug another USB drive to the server and nothing shows in the server .

BTW, it's a home workgroup environment .I have shared folder on my PC but when I tried to connect ( using net use x:\\mypc\share\ )  from server side it kept saying unable to connect .

any thoughts ?  -- basically I just need some way to move file to the bare metal server .

Thanks,

You should be able to map a drive with the net use pretty easily.  Its probably something else causing you issues.

Can you ping the machine from the server.  Is the firewall enabled on your pc stopping the mapping?  You may also have to specify credentials to map the drive.

I use to do this on my old core server easily.

If worse comes to worse, power down the server, plug the usb key into your pc, put the files on it in a temp folder,  Plug it back in and power up the server and you can copy and move the files whereever you want.

Thanks guys for the help . 

Gavin, yes I went with the last resort you mentioned and it worked . --- still can't figure out why net use didn't work , I can do net view and it clearly shows the share, hmm. 

now I have corefig running on the host , when I tried to create a new VM , only the host USB drive  is available ,  I have another 2 Hardrives on N54l ( took from an old VMWARE) but it can't bee seen by hyper V , I suspect there is something to do with partition .

any ideas ?

Thanks guys for the help . 

Gavin, yes I went with the last resort you mentioned and it worked . --- still can't figure out why net use didn't work , I can do net view and it clearly shows the share, hmm. 

now I have corefig running on the host , when I tried to create a new VM , only the host USB drive  is available ,  I have another 2 Hardrives on N54l ( took from an old VMWARE) but it can't bee seen by hyper V , I suspect there is something to do with partition .

any ideas ?

To make it easy, plug those drives into a windows machine and repartition and format them.  I'm suspecting they have a VMWARE partition on it that the server isn't seeing properly (if it came from an ESX server).

Once you do that your server should be able to see them properly.

I would use DiskPart to Clean those drives before partitioning and formatting them.

I was going to recommend diskpart but I wasn't sure of the level of comfort with the command line.  Also I always get nervous with diskpart.  Its never happened but one day I'm sure I'm going to accidentally clean the wrong drive.  But very fast and easy way of doing it as well.

I always "list disk, select disk #, list disk". That second list command should highlight whichever disk, to be absolutely certain that its the right one.

And even if it's the wrong one, something like EaseUS Partition Recovery should be able rebuild the partition table. Or any other data recovery tools.

And let's not forget, if you have all the drives backed up to your WHS and accidentally trash one with DiskPart, it's pretty easy to restore it ;)