RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N40L 6 sata drives possible?

trumee

Hi,

I have flashed the unofficial bios and currently upgrading my drives.

Is it possible to do the following:

1. Esata drive for OS and boot

2. 5 sata drives for storage.

I have a vague feeling that Esata comes as a cost of an internal sata connector, is that true?

Thanks

I don't recall eSATA costing an internal connector. Maybe I'm forgetting, but AFAIK, you can use all of the SATA connectors.

The hard drives in the bios goes from Sata 1 to Sata 5. So, I thought you can't have more than 5 (not counting usb here). Anybody tried five 3.5 inch drive (internal sata) and one 2.5 inch (esata) ?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

I did six drives by putting all of them on a HP SmartArray P410 (two 2.5" Raptors in an IcyDock, and four 3.5" drives).

Using a P212 SmartArray would allow for four internal, and four external 3.5" drives in an enclosure.

1 drive will be listed as Port 0...... so 6 total...... from memory I think the eSATA port and the MB SATA connector are 4 or 5..... 0-3 are the internal bottom bays

I have six SATA drives in an N40L.  The one connected to the external port required an eSATA-to-SATA cable routed through the (slightly) bent flap that secures the PCI cards in place. The two "top" drives are a 3.5" and a 2.5" BOTH mounted (on either side) of a bracket like this in the optical bay:

m-7_ch_fNdVYkiQsGA2jSXA.jpg

I also put a small fan in a new, vented, optical drive blanking plate in front of these two top drives, to keep them cool.  All works well (with NAS4Free - which boots off a USB stick, so all six drives are completely available for storage).

[ Coo! I'm a 1 Post Wonder now!! ]

Edited by mooblie

I have six SATA drives in an N40L.  The one connected to the external port required an eSATA-to-SATA cable routed through the (slightly) bent flap that secures the PCI cards in place. The two "top" drives are a 3.5" and a 2.5" BOTH mounted (on either side) of a bracket like this in the optical bay:

m-7_ch_fNdVYkiQsGA2jSXA.jpg

I also put a small fan in a new, vented, optical drive blanking plate in front of these two top drives, to keep them cool.  All works well (with NAS4Free - which boots of a USB stick, so all six drives are completely available for storage).

Big ask... but could you post a pic showing this setup when you next have the chance to take the top cover off ?

This will assist anyone coming to the forum  :)

Source for the bracket that you kindly added to your post ?

Ty in advance

Raptor