RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Australian Members

ttremeth

G'Day,

Just wanting to see how many Aussies we have on this forum and where they are from. This post could flop but I have wondered for a while now and Australians tend to be everywhere on the internet.

I am from Sydney and am a regular listener of the show. Anyone else?

G'Day,

Just wanting to see how many Aussies we have on this forum and where they are from. This post could flop but I have wondered for a while now and Australians tend to be everywhere on the internet.

YES! I too am from Sydney. Have been listening to the podcast weekly since I got an iPhone about 9 months ago. Had a windows mobile 5 phone before it got run over, and getting podcasts to that was way too much hassle, so getting an iPhone opened the door to podcasts for me. Have had a home build home server now for about 16 months with 2 media centers. The only Apple product i have is an iPhone, not that i need to justify that :) Best device on the market which actually works very solidly, so I use it for remote access, streaming audio and video etc. iPad? Nah - I can quite happily do everything on my iPhone and can then put it in my pocket and go! Portability of such a powerful device is a massive plus for it, not like the iPad.

Great show and is only one of 2 which I listen to on a regular basis.

+1 Aussie, in Adelaide.

How I came to be interested in homeserver.

Topfield PVR -> XP Media Centre -> Media Centre, Extenders, Nettop -> Homeserver

Use the server for centralised media storage and backup. A hard drive failure in media pc was the tipping point for homeserver purchase.

+ 1 Aussie in Gosford, NSW

Been lurking since the mid 60s ....HSS podcast 65ish or so.

A Franken-build server. 80gig 2.5" drive as boot drive, 1x1.0GB + 4x1.5GB.

Used for backup of 3 PC's in house, file sharing/serving of Movies/TV/Music to WD TV live box in familyroom over ethernet, also archival storage of home video about 1.4TB !!!.....mostly un-watchable family stuff ;-) ..well to everybody else atleast.

...new task just added ...logs output from Solar Panel installation. ...I like graphs ;-)

cheers,

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, I'm not the only one here :) I'm from Melbourne with a home build from spare parts I had around the place. P4 CPU, 5TB over 5 drives.. I use her to store media, files (mostly for work) backups and sharing.

As I now dont have any data on my laptop, when im at the office i just VPN in to my box for data access and as a bonus the box thinks I'm on the home network and works as if im in my living room. So i dont use any of the remote services..... pretty handy.. (I hope im not breaking anything connecting to it that way). As i only vpn during the day, I dont have any issues with the box wanting to backup my laptop through the tunnel.

Have fun!

Dave.

Hey Guys,

I'm longtime Melbourne lurker... Have a couple of homebuilt homeservers floating about the place, and looking to buy an X510 as a home upgrade in the near future!

Got a couple of VM instances of V1, and starting to find to take time to have a play with Vail...

Edited by unrealshots

Hey Guys,

I'm longtime Melbourne lurker... Have a couple of homebuilt homeservers floating about the place, and looking to buy an X510 as a home upgrade in the near future!

Got a couple of VM instances of V1, and starting to find to take time to have a play with Vail...

Great work with the podcast. I am in Sydney by the way. I agree, home server should be pushed more in OZ. Perhaps for version 2 they might, if they get it right and keep it in everybody's sight! LOL

Edited by ttremeth

Dave finally let me in manually to reply to this thread.

Had been having trouble getting through the validation phase for membership of the forums.

I am in Brissy and have been using WHS for almost 3 years. A mate put me onto it when when I lost a HDD and everything on it.

Everyone should have one IMHO!

Using my homemade WHS as a media server for two HTPCs and a Sony TV/Yamaha AVR. The rest of the house is W7 machines and one old XP MCE rig which I keep mainly as a spare. Also running a HD homerun and a couple of other tuners and an xbox extender.

I am in the process of moving to an i3 platform for my main HTPC so the gear in that machine will cascade to my new WHS once vail is released as RTM.

Good to hear an aussie accent on HSS 97 too.

Pardon me for replying, I'm not an Aussie, I live in Hawaii. However, I travel extensively in Australia, mainly doing photography. I'm just glad to see that WHS has a good following in one of my favorite places. Besides, you guys have some of the greatest beer .... :)

• 3 weeks later...

G'Day,

Yes I'm a regular listener and live south west of Sydney