RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

CoreAVC ... FYI

eobie

If anyone here is contemplating purchasing the CoreAVC filter let me advise you to think again. Not only does CUDA acceleration not work in full-screen mode in WMC, the support IS HORRIBLE! That is all. I got banned from the forums for asking a question about the next version and if i was entitled to a free upgrade because of the bugs in the current version.

never again.

Yeah, I've noticed that CoreAVC isn't working very well with Windows 7. I'm using Sharkys codec pack right now and I think its based on ffdshow. It is working pretty well on my nvidia box, the HTPC with Intel G45 chipset however is a whole other story. But then again, nothing is working well on that chipset in W7..

i am using haali splitter with ac3filter with good results. looks like x264 is using hardware acceleration when using the haali splitter.

I'm one of those people that doesn't use extra codec packs. If the file doesn't play natively than it needs converting. That's just me though. Then again, all of my files are self-generated, so I can control that.

haali media splitter is not a codec. it simply allows windows media center to "see" mkv files. mkv is just a container, the x264 file inside of the mkv is native to windows media center. no transcoding going on here.

You are technically correct. However I lump them together because if the container doesn't play natively in Media Center, whether it is actually transcoded or faked to look like a native file, it still isn't native. Again, that's just me.

Well the fact that Microsoft has neglected to support the most popular open source container is by far the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. If you only support things that are native to Media Center, did you nix Blu-Ray too?

I have a stand-alone Blu-ray player for now.
(Warning: large generalization - no offense intended)
The majority of people who care about mkv are those that procure those file illicitly. I don't entirely blame Microsoft for not supporting something that most people who do things legitimately won't use.

usacomp2k3, to not accept mkv is like not accepting .rar files because .zip is natively supported. I rip all my DVDs and BluRays to mkv because of the added feature to have subs directly in the file. (MakeMKV.com)

the sad thing is that your logic about MKVs is applied to alot of stuff like torrents for instance. A great way to distribute content that is red-flagged because of pirating.