RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Whs Is There But I Can Not Log Into It After Power Outage. EX490

Jamr

Hi everyone, it has been a while. I hope you all are well.

We we had a power outage up here that lasted longer than the UPS had power and the WHSv1 did a hard shut down.

After it came back up I noticed I could see the folders and explore in them.

I can see the WHS login page after typing it's static IP in a browser. If I try to log in, I get no response.

but I can not,

• log into the server with RDP or the dashboard. It gives me an error stating something to the effect the the server is not there.

• I also can not use MyMovies as it can not find the file located on the server.

So I brought it home and plugged it into my network and the same thing is happening as far as the loggin in goes but being on a different workgroup here I do not see the shared folders here.

So before I go and do something I wish I hadn't I thought I would throw the question out there.

How do I get it back to it's old self?

With v1 I think your best option is a Recovery Install. It will preserve your Data Pool I believe. However, you will have to do all the updates and re-create all the user accounts and permissions IIRC.

My real question is why didn't the server shut down gracefully when the UPS got low on power? Did you not have the UPS connected to the server and set up for Shutdown?

Thanks Ikon for the reply. The UPS is a off brand so Grid Junction did not recognize it.

I am not sure why the OS did not shut down properly. I think maybe the OS did not recognize it either. It has been a while ago since I set it all up.

Do you have any idea what could have gone wrong? 

Normally, most UPS' either come with power management software, or you can download it from the maker's website.

Normally that is true but in this case the manufacturer had no such software. Let this be a lesson for not buying non name brand UPS's

Yeah, I hear you. We've all been there. Most of us have the T-shirt ;)

Might be time to consider a new UPS. Right now, I'm liking the CyberPower Pure Sine-wave units.