RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N54L limitations/cons?

riahc3

I would like to know, after some years, what N54L limitations/cons you guys have found that the N54L has....

Ive read some problems with 1080 but not sure if its streaming or transcoding it.

Streaming it won't be a problem.

The server's main weakness is its processor, which isn't upgradeable, and is limited in performance.  That said, it suits a role.  The N54L is a good fileserver.  It's a great NAS box.  It's usable if you wanted to host perhaps 2 simultaneous VMs, but not too many more than that (though it's a good lab box if you're just spinning up a VM here or there to test an OS, or to test the underlying hypervisor itself).  It's not that much less powerful than the Gen8 is when stock, but many people upgrade the processor in their Gen8 Microsever.

It's not a great system for transcoding, or other high-end server tasks (database stuff, etc.) that it wasn't designed for.  But within its limits it's still a great box.  Having moved on to the Gen8 as my primary server, I'm using my N54L for hypervisor testing. 

Edited by LoneWolf

Considering what it was designed for, a file server, SMB office server, it's a great machine.

I agree with LoneWolf and jmwills; the N54L is great at what it was intended to do. People like to hack and customize IT gear, but they need to keep in mind that not all the mods are going to be successful, and it's not the fault of the computer that it can't do things it was never intended to do.

My mine goals are using it as a (streaming and transcoding if neccesary) media NAS running WS2012R and using it as my router pfSense. Those are the primary points. But I would like it to be able to do some other smaller things like run a couple of VMs for testing and other aplications I might want (ownCloud pops in my head)

Edited by riahc3

Sounds like you're expecting an awful lot from a small, inexpensive box. A single N54L might be able to handle either WS2012r2 OR pfSense, but not both at the same time, and I wouldn't expect it to handle transcoding very well. In the end, though, only you can determine if it's doing what you want, so I would encourage you to experiment; try things out, see what works for you.

Sounds like you're expecting an awful lot from a small, inexpensive box. A single N54L might be able to handle either WS2012r2 OR pfSense, but not both at the same time, and I wouldn't expect it to handle transcoding very well. In the end, though, only you can determine if it's doing what you want, so I would encourage you to experiment; try things out, see what works for you.

You honestly dont think it, using ESXI, can do pfSense and using WS2012R2 act as a NAS? Edited by riahc3

I don't recall you saying you plan on using ESXi, and mentioned VMs as something you would like to be able to do, so I assumed you weren't running any VMs to start. This would mean you couldn't run both WS and pfSense, because they each require their own machine. Now that you mention ESXi, it might work better, but I still don't think you could use it as a pfSense box AND do transcoding.

However, like I said earlier, give it a shot.

I don't recall you saying you plan on using ESXi, and mentioned VMs as something you would like to be able to do, so I assumed you weren't running any VMs to start. This would mean you couldn't run both WS and pfSense, because they each require their own machine. Now that you mention ESXi, it might work better, but I still don't think you could use it as a pfSense box AND do transcoding.

However, like I said earlier, give it a shot.

I thought it was self implied, sorry.

Anyways, I have that RAM issue that I don't know if RAM I bought for the Gen8 is compatible with the Gen7. Long story short: I got a refund for a fan broken in a Gen8 so I don't have the Gen8 any more so now Im thinking about the Gen7. So once I know if it can be used or not, Ill make a choice between a Gen7 or something else on the market if it isn't compatible.