RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Cheap P222 "Not Working" ebay

stix01

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AS-IS-HP-633537-001-Smart-Array-P222-Controller-/390800327761?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5afd83c451

Saw this. If someone want's to roll the dice it could be a very good deal if you are U.S Based. I suspect someone hasn't been able to install server 2012 with it or something. Given the discussions people have had here with difficulty getting this thing to work out of the box. 

• Like 1

For $100 no heatsink? nope nope nope.

Even if you can't install your OS, you'd get the BIOS / Array configuration utility provisioning screen prompt.

nope.

I may like bargains --but not when they come to my servers.  Stability wins.

And on Ebay "Untested, as-is", translates half the time (in my mind) to "Yeah, we tested it enough to know it probably didn't work.  But maybe we can get some scratch off this."

And their price is way too high for a probably not working controller.

Edited by LoneWolf

Hmmm....

I'd be interested in that for prototyping some nicer heatsinks on, but not for $100

At least that auction is useful to see a picture of what's underneath the factory heatsink.  Thanks for posting this.  :)

It's a PMC Sierra controller chipset.  HP has used various generations for previous RAID controllers as well.  PMC acquired Adaptec in 2010 as well, so it's now Adaptec by PMC.