RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Don W

General DD-WRT networking question

Don W

I have an old Linksys DD-WRT router laying around and am thinking about installing DD-WRT onto it for my main firewall and internet connection and connecting it to a gigabit switch for local traffic and am worried it won't be able to handle the traffic. Or should I buy a low power PC and install PFsense?

jmwills

I used the WRT54G for a number of years and it handled the job very well.  Plus, it will not burn the power the PC will.

The question to ask is how granular do you need to get?

Poppapete

Depends if you just need a router or are you wanting UTM. With all those nasties out there I believe we need UTM in which case get a box.

ikon

It's a bit difficult to determine the answer without knowing how fast your Internet link is.

Don W

It's a bit difficult to determine the answer without knowing how fast your Internet link is.

25 down 10 up

oj88

25 down 10 up

No contribution at this point. Just green with envy.

Don W

What??? Isn't that normal? What does everyone else get?

oj88

From where I live, that's the bandwidth of the gods. :D They're kinda expensive here.

I only have 8 down, 1 up.

jmwills

35/5 but back to the question.  If all you need is a step up to a better firewall, I'd go with DDWRT first and then look at the other options.

Don W

From where I live, that's the bandwidth of the gods. :D They're kinda expensive here.

I only have 8 down, 1 up.

I have Cox internet and cable tv and I just wish we had options. They only offer 2 basic options, dirt slow or blazing fast. I just got a mailer saying that they are increasing the speed again, which translates into a higher bill. A friend of mine has the cheap option and I swear dial up was faster. My internet portion of the bill is 63 a month. I would be happy with half the price and half the speed.

Don