RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Replacing full drive

phruby

I have a HP Gen 8 server running 2012 essentials with storage spaces on two drives (a 1TB and 1.5TB) The 1TB is full and needed to be replaced with my new 2TB drive. The drive D storage space drive started to disappear from the server. I'd reboot and it would come back. Now the drive D will not come back. I shut down the machine and inserted the 2TB into slot 3. The 2TB drive will not show up in drive manager neither will the 1.5TB drive. The 1TB drive says its offline and will not come back online. Storage spaces will not allow me to add the 2TB drive since it can't see it. I can't remove the 1TB drive from storage spaces because it errors out. 

How can I swap the drive out and replace it? Is there something in the bios I need to set to get slot 3 to work? I know the 2TB drive works since I could format it on my desktop machine. 

I have a HP Gen 8 server running 2012 essentials with storage spaces on two drives (a 1TB and 1.5TB) The 1TB is full and needed to be replaced with my new 2TB drive. The drive D storage space drive started to disappear from the server. I'd reboot and it would come back. Now the drive D will not come back. I shut down the machine and inserted the 2TB into slot 3. The 2TB drive will not show up in drive manager neither will the 1.5TB drive. The 1TB drive says its offline and will not come back online. Storage spaces will not allow me to add the 2TB drive since it can't see it. I can't remove the 1TB drive from storage spaces because it errors out. 

How can I swap the drive out and replace it? Is there something in the bios I need to set to get slot 3 to work? I know the 2TB drive works since I could format it on my desktop machine. 

First up go into the B120i config setup from boot. It should appear as an unassigned drive once intelligent provisioning opens. 

This will take a restart sadly. 

Turn the drive into a Raid - Array... this is all subject to the fact you are running in raid mode currently. 

• Like 1

Followed you instructions and it works! The new drive was seen. I opened storage spaces and added the new drive to the pool. Then  I removed the old full drive. The pool is now rebuilding with the 1.5 and 2TB drives. Thanks stix01!  B)

Followed you instructions and it works! The new drive was seen. I opened storage spaces and added the new drive to the pool. Then I removed the old full drive. The pool is now rebuilding with the 1.5 and 2TB drives. Thanks stix01! B)