RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server Essentials No Internet Firewall

Guest techyguyni

Guest techyguyni

Hi

I have a ZYWALL USG 20 and Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2 running on my network, my server tells me it has not got an internet connection, I can surf the internet via IE But within the dashboard of the server a few times a day I get the notification that it hasnt got an internet connection, I ve looked high and low on the internet to resolve this problem and came up with nothing.

If anyone out there could give me a little guidance as to how to fix this I would appreciate it.

I am asuming it maybe a port forwarding issue? I could be wrong.

Thanks

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• Jason

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the same issue with my r2 server behind a Sophos UTM. Despite web filtering being disabled for my server. I've confirmed this doesn't occur when my server is behind my pfsense test box. Am equally baffled.

The Zywall USG20 doesn't have UPNP. Is it trying to make a UPNP connection for the ports?  PFSense does however. Sophos UTM, not sure.

Guest techyguyni

its couldnt be a upnp issue as i have the ports forwarded to the servers internal lan address, i have also tryed the server on the dmz as a simple test, still no internet access, the only way i can gain internet access to the server is to connect it dirrectly to my router and not behind the firewall which in turn defeats me having a firewall.

Its got to be some type of port forwarding but i know its not upnp, funny as i have the vpn up and running although in the server dashboard it tells me its not, i ve tested connecting to the server from outside my lan and all works (in regards to vpn)

OK, in another thread Drashna pointed out that Sophos blocks all outgoing ports by default and posted a command to make it behave more like most consumer level routers/firewalls, basically allowing all outgoing ports. Could the same be happening with the Zywall?

Ikon is correct. However even with outgoing access on all ports on Sophos, I find that WSE12R2 will report no internet access despite actually having it. Even more peculiar the RWA setup wizard will report failure behind Sophos but not pfsense. Fortunately I set it up behind pfsense successfully before later migrating to Sophos. Not quite sure what the conflict might be. Though once RWA had been setup the wizard need to be run again.

Guest techyguyni

Its deffo the firewall becasue when i move it for behind the firewall it works perfectly, I can do this as mentioned above as it defeats having a firewall as iam sure you understand.