RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

virtualize my computer on top of windows home sever?

senji323

Hi,

I wanted to see if anyone else has thought about doing there Home Sever this way. The thought I had was to build a machine that I could run my windows Home Sever on, and then on top of that virtualize a windows 7 desktop for me to use in my office. Of course, I want to dedicate a Nic and a hard drive to the windows virtual computer. But all I have ever hear people talking about using virtualization for is test machines. Would it be a bad idea to run a production computer in a virtualized environment on the Home Sever?

There is nothing wrong with creating or using a production VM. You just hear about VM's for test purposes because if you break it there is no real problems with it as you can just delet the VM and create a new one in no time. I plan to do what you are talking about just so I can have MC always running and my real desktop can be shut down.

I run Ubuntu and Windows XP in a Virtualbox on my WHS. One of the few reasons I MAY be interested in WHS2 is the 64bit will allow me to install more ram for my VM's. One thing I don't want to do is run WHS as a VM. It may be possible, but I am not sure how the whole disk part would work out and I don't want to spend the time figuring it out.

Mike

The advantages of virtual is for testing, to be sure along with power consumption. I am almost ready to pull the trigger on a box that will have 12 gigs of RAM. I will run Server 2008 as the base, and carve out portions of the RAM and HDD space for virtuals using VMWare.

Give Virtualbox a look. I know a lot of people like Vmware or Microsoft's VM programs, which I am sure are good, but Virtualbox has been working good for me. Right now I running Unbuntu 10.04, Windows Server 2008R2 and Windows 7 all on my Windows 7 host. The Windows 7 VM and Windows Server 2008R2 is only for testing. The Ubuntu system is one I use on a regular basis.

For bare metal installs, I use Xenserver. My router is actually a Xenserver machine running pfSense and Untangle for a combination I call "Super Router". Machine has now been up and running for about 50 days without either of the VM's or the Xenserver being rebooted.

Mike