RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Jason

Streaming iTunes library from WSE12r2

Jason

Is anyone streaming their iTunes library from their WHS/WSE12 box via the internet? Want to be able to stream existing library (artists, albums, songs) residing on my server to iphone/iPad devices. I love Plex but I can't install it on the R2 OS, it locks up during refresh when RWA VPN is enabled. Have iTunes home sharing setup to stream to devices while at home, but seeking a internet streaming solution.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

dvn

Subsonic works pretty well though I haven't used it in a while. Last I knew, it's what Christian and Gary Johnson use to steam movies over the Internet. And it's actively being developed, which is a key point.

Jason

Thanks diehard.  Ran v2 in past just to run itunes as a service on my server, but it was very limited in capabilities.  Been waiting v3 release.  Checking it out now.

dvn

John, this looks good. You're using it? V3? You've used Subsonic before? and you like this better?

I don't do much streaming to my phone but I have iTunes running on my whs 2011 so I can stream movies to my apple TV. Which is fine until I reboot the server. Then I have to RDP in and restart iTunes. This would be better. The movies were originally DVD rips that I had to convert using Handbrake. I still have a bunch to convert. Would you know if iHomeServer lets you batch convert movies?

diehard

Hi Rich,

I like it for the metadata collection so that it displays properly on my ipod touch. I haven't tried converting videos since my downloads are all mp4. But since it uses Handbrake, I would expect it to batch convert. Not sure if you can adjust the CPU cycles because I hear Handrake max's out the CPU.

There is a 30 day trial. Also there are versions for PC and server that all talk to each other, so I guess you could do the converting on a PC that's got a high end CPU.

Jason

Will definitely pay the $16 USD upgrade fee from V2 to V3. They deserve it to further development. Their web UI alone needs work. Try listing artists - must either search by name or scroll down to next one page at a time. Yikes.

dvn

Hey John, it does max out all 8 cores on my i7 but the PC is still quite usable.

pcdoc

I have used V3 it to stream iTunes music internal and external.  Listen to the interview with the developer on BYOB 140.  V3 is packed with features.

dvn

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out.