RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Install Windows Server 2012 R2 with separate drives

Elro

Hey guys.

I'm close to breaking. I'm trying to install Windows Server 2012 R2 on my G8.

I've got 1 x 500Gb and 2 x 3Tb drives. I want to put the OS on the 500Gb drive and have the other two drives as a combined storage pool.

I tried installing via Intelligent Provisioning but the OS kept crashing to which I've found out you need to install the OS manually. I then tore my hair out trying to find the driver to manually install windows (I now know all about the B120i driver). Once I finally get the OS to install I find that I can't see my other drives even though I configured them the Intelligent Provisioning options. I then read on this forum that I need to change the RAID controller in the options at first boot but now I can't find the windows driver to install the OS using the AHCI driver.

I'm only new to using a microserver. If someone could talk me through how to install the OS and have all three drives come up separately it would be greatly appreciated. Once I've got all three drives visible I plan on using Stablebit to pool the two 3Tb drives together.

Thanks heaps.

I'm not sure if possible in 2012 but if you pack a usb with a directory full of drivers and a root cfg.ini this will help you solve all. Do this while the secondary drives are pulled.

Thanks for the advice. I tried this but it didn't seem to work.

I've got Server 2012 R2 installed now on the 500Gb drive but I can't get Windows to ID the 3Tb drive. Is there something in intelligent provisioning I need to do to allow Windows to see/have access to the drive?