RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

FYI - Update Custom ESXi 5.5 image released yesterday from HP/VMware

Helzy

How are you managing your VMs now that VSphere Console is going away as a free option and being replaced by the VSphere Cloud console?

Not really certain what I plan to do. This was an exercise in SRM lab building and deployment scenarios. The fact that 5.5 doesn't fully support 2012 R2 is bugging me too.

Not really certain what I plan to do. This was an exercise in SRM lab building and deployment scenarios. The fact that 5.5 doesn't fully support 2012 R2 is bugging me too.

Everyone's got some form of failure in their VM setup, or so it seems.  The Cloud console is VMWare's; not only is it the only way to manage going forward (which willl cost you) but I've heard a lot of complaints about it being slower and less stable, plus it uses Flash, and is picky about versioning (meaning that you can't run the console from Linux at this time).  I was going to use ESXi until this development.

On the other hand, Microsoft just made the mistake of removing the P2V feature of System Center Virtual Machine Manager for Hyper-V Server --without having its replacement ready.  Meaning that if you want to P2V an existing system, you either have to go backwards to SCVMM 2012 (non R2) or hope that Disk2Vhd will do what you want (it will in a number of cases, but not all).  Complaints on Microsoft's blog are met the same way most legitimate complaints are towards them at the moment --with months of silence.

That leaves Citrix XenServer.  Open-source as of v6.2.  For a home setup, it's the one I'd probably use, and HP does support it.  I just don't know what the limitations are, and I'd be willing to bet there's some form of limitation.  It may be that hardware support isn't as flexible.  At the moment, I'm looking at spinning up my retired Microserver N54L just to test Hyper-V Server and Citrix XenServer to see what I get out of them.

Edited by LoneWolf

By the way, This update did allow me to finally see the entire 4x4TB Raid 5 and add it as a VMFS 5 volume.

Have you ever looked at Proxmox?

http://www.proxmox.com/proxmox-ve

It looks interesting, but I'd want something with wider support in the enterprise.  Right now, the big three are VMWare, Hyper-V, and XenServer.  For home, Proxmox might be great, but it won't be for work.