RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Jim's Build - The Hard Drives?

jcollison

Alright guys (or gals, since it seems we have a few), the external drives that I use for my v1 WHS are starting to make some serious noise tonight. We had just finished recording the show when my wife says, "Are you rewinding a video with your Home Server?" So you get the idea of what it sounds like?

So, I am going to purchase 2 1TB drives (or for the right price, they could be larger) to replace the 2 500GB drives that I think are going bad (or at least I cannot trust them anymore). I am going to put them in an ICYDOCK 2 drive enclosure and hook them up via USB for now to the production server so I can get my data moved over. Once I purchase all parts for my replacement server, they will go in that box.

So - what do I buy? Not necessary looking for the cheapest or the fastest, just the best value. I will make a decision by this weekend and buy.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

BTW - just backed up all my shares and my pc backups tonight to the IOSafe Solo just in case something goes wrong overnight. Love my WHS IOSafe combo! Fast and easy!

Jim,

As a WD fan boy I think the answer is to go with WD green series or the AV series. Reasoning is low power, low noise, decent performance, and of course the WD reliability. I have more than 25 drives spread across 2 servers, and 5 PCs and they are all running great. In my past, all my drive failures have been Seagate and what used to be Maxtor. Recently lost a laptop drive which was also a Seagate. I think that all drives are good, but for your server you want the best. WD is the way to go. If you can get the AV series or the EAD series you will not have to mess with the jumper, however nowadays the best deals are in the EARS series which are great drives if you set the jumper.

I use mostly WD green drives(low noise and power) because of price, have purchased a samsung ecogreen, but cannot vouch for the reliability as I have only had that for a few months.

and since you are using an external enclosure, I would think a low power HDD combo(wd green/samsung ecogreen + some other company I cannot remember(seagate?)) would be a great idea even if the enclosure has a fan(noise).

@Jim - How old are the failing/noisy drives, and who's the manufacturer?

Regarding drive size, I'd go with 2 TB for reasons of efficiency. Better to have two 2 TB drives spinning than four 1 TB.

The failing drives are LaCie external drives that I think were never intended to run 24/7. They are out of warranty at this point in time.

The failing drives are LaCie external drives that I think were never intended to run 24/7. They are out of warranty at this point in time.

Maxtor? I've heard LaCie has used these in their enclosures.

I have not cracked them to find out. The drives have quieted down this evening, but I am not taking any chances. Ordering drives tonight. Here are the three best options as I see it.

(2) 1TB Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EARS 1TB 5400 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136490 $160 shipped

or

(1) 2TB Western Digital 2 TB Caviar Green SATA Intellipower 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive WD20EARS

Drive http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ZCXK0I?tag=invihand-20 $130 shipped

or

(1) WD Caviar Green WD20EADS - Hard drive - 2 TB - internal - 3.5" - SATA-300 - buffer: 32 MB

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UE8LRE?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&tag=invihand-20 $136 shipped

Free shipping on all. I think it's a no brainer? Option 3?