RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Rod at home

What's the highest speed my DSL modem will handle?

jmwills

Why not? Mine issued a Motorola Surfboard 6120 DOCSIS 3.0 modem for my business account. Seems fine for 50 Mbps downstream.

You pay for the thing multiple times over by paying a monthly rental fee.

Jason

I see. In my case I bought it outright comparable to retail so wasn't so bad. Just wasn't sure if there was a higher performance option.

Rod at home

No, it doesn't.

cskenney

This conversation seems to be going in circle.

To the original question of what is the fastest download / upload speeds your new modem will be able to handle?  I don't think it matters.  The modem needs to be compatible with the system it's connected to and more than likely your ISP is going to determine what you up/down speeds will be anyways.  The limitation is usually not the modem but the ISP.

If you have fiber in your neighborhood AND they are going to run fiber to each home then you will have to have a new modem anyways.

If they have fiber at the street and still rely on DSL lines to the house then your current modem is going to be fine.

BTW, you mentioned 40MBPS above.  That would be amazing speeds.  More than likely you are looking at 40Mbps (mega bits per second).  40MBPS (mega BYTES per second) would translate to 320 Mbps and would be one really high speed connection.  Most likely not what they are selling.

Rod at home

I'm sorry, I didn't realize there was a difference between "MBPS" and "Mbps". I thought they were the same thing. Then I should restate, CenturyLink is saying my speed could go as high as 40 Mbps, depending upon how far we are from the distribution point.

ikon

cskenney makes good points. That said, there are differences between generations of cable 'modems', with newer ones normally being faster. That's why I suggested looking up the specs for the new one you bought.

MBps vs Mbps. Yeah, 'b' = bits, 'B' = bytes (8 bits per byte).

cskenney

cskenney makes good points. That said, there are differences between generations of cable 'modems', with newer ones normally being faster. That's why I suggested looking up the specs for the new one you bought.

MBps vs Mbps. Yeah, 'b' = bits, 'B' = bytes (8 bits per byte).

I looked up his modem. They don't specify the speeds. They only list what DSL standards it's compatible with.

ikon

The DSL standards should give the max speeds. I had to do this myself a few years back and found out I needed a DoCSIS 3 'modem'. Although mine is for cable, I'm sure there must be equivalent info for DSL 'modems'.