RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Share folders with non domain computers...

ChadRT

Ok here is a major PITA for me!  There appears to be an illegal version of Windows 7 Ultimate on most of the computers on the network.  Once I figured out why some of them just cannot join the domain it boils down to an illegal downloaded copy of 7ultimate.  I have spoke with the owners about this particular issue and they are going to authorize me to buy a legal copy of Win7 Pro for every computer in the building.  This being said I have to do it in waves.

The problem is that in the mean time I have to allow access to the existing systems to our existing method of connection in the office.

Software that runs our towing company:

This software actually just uses a db file that is shared on the existing server in a shared folder.  Can a add a shared folder to "Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials" that is accessible to anyone on the network? (just like file and folder sharing on a network that doesn't have a server/domain)  I have tried to share folders and I have no luck getting them to see the shared resource unless I am auth'd to the DC.

Software that runs our automotive repair facility:

This software is called Napa TRACS and uses a DB server called Firebird that the client systems connect to.  I dont know what its like installing this on a WSE2012R2 or if the server is going to allow connections to it from non domain authenticated users.  (I still have a lot of reading to do regarding this product, it appears open source and so I may have to hit their forums.)

With legit copies of Windows, as long as user names and password for domain and local accounts match, the user will be able to access shares on the server. For frankenbuilds all bets are off. I wonder what else is hidden in your special version. Hopefully you are not storing customers financial data on these systems.

What sort of access do these clients or users need? Read or write?

Please be specific. Are you getting access denied or they can't see the shares at all?

All customer data is stored on a little Walmart Acer slim computer.  It has a legal copy of Win 7 Home on it running Trend Micro Business.  I made sure of that one!  But I hear ya with the frankenbuilds.  This is turning into a nightmare real quick.  I did get my first batch of license keys for MS Win7Pro today so I will be here all night reimaging 5 systems and installing all our internal software.  I am working on a nice system right now that has everything with a fresh copy download from MS that I am going to try and use sysprep on to save me some time.

As for the folder share basically I need to share a folder located on the server that will be accessible & viewable (with read/write) from any system on the network!  Just as if I shared a folder from WinXP or Win7 would be visable and read/write from any system on the physical network.

Chad

Okay, this is relatively simple.  However, remember this, SHARED FOLDERS are driven by USER attributes and have nothing to do with computers. 

There are two types of Permissions you need to set and you can do this from the Dashboard or from Explorer.  Let's use the Explorer method as I will assume you can add folders from the Dashboard and these are non-domain computers.  There is a default container (parent folder) where the normal Shared Folders from the Dashboard will be created.  Go to there and create a New Folder and name appropriately.

Now right click the folder and go to Properties>Sharing Tab>Advanced Sharing.  This method will make it more granular.  Check the "Share This Folder" and Then create the Share Name by Clicking "Add".  This will be the name of the Share.  Permissions=Everyone=Read.  This means Everyone can get to the Parent and see the child folders.  Add yourself with Full Control.

You might need to setup the sub-folders yourself depending on how you assign the permissions.

Or, use the Dashboard but the users will need to have an AD Account unless you give EVERYONE full control.

If Everyone has Read/Write Access to Everything, it's a mute point (big security risk) but mute.  You'd be better off protecting the files with Domain Accounts.