RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Understanding Hyper-V with 2012 R2 Essentials

FleurDeLis425

I was listening to the previous podcast about using visualization with Hyper-V in 2012 R2 Essentials and I am trying to better understand the limitations.

It looks like I can install R2 Essentials with just a Hyper-V role and then install a single VM R2 Essentials to run the other functionality of Server 2012. Correct?

Once that is done, is there anything stopping me from installing additional VMs if other operating systems such as Linux?. Or is for some reason a single VM of R2 Essentials all that can be done?

From my understanding, that ability is there to assist in migration from SBS or Server 2012 Essentials and not to run multiple VM's at will.  I could be wrong on this (and most likely am).

I believe jmwills is correct. I think it's technically possible to run additional VMs but not legal from a licence standpoint.

Again, the question, can it be done?  Yes of course with no technical issues.  Licensing is the biggie.  The likelihood of you being audited for a home test lab are almost nil.

From another forum:

2012R2 Essentials' HyperV role is ONLY ALLOWED TO RUN ESSENTIALS. Period. End of story. From a licensing standpoint at least. If you are running it for a business and install anything other than Essentials in a VM, then you've violated the EULA and may be in deep trouble if audited. 

Specifically, you're supposed to install Essentials, remove the Essentials Role and install the HyperV role, and then install Essentials in a VM.

Now, why would you want to do this? Have you checked out HyperV Replication? You can replicate the VM to other Servers, to guarantee up time.

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/28920-windows-server-2012-essentials-r2/

More Resources:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/

Ok, so the licensing for r2 essentials lets you install the os on bare metal, install the hyper very role and then install r2 essentials in hyper v as the production server. They main benifit and what Microsoft wants is for you to get comfortable using hyper v, the back and redundancy features of hyper v and potentially the future ability for you to just pop this server into azure.

Licensing wise that's all the windows servers you are allowed to run. But what if I also want to run windows 7, windows 8, or Linux on the same hyper v installation?

Again, the issue is licencing. It's up to you whether you want to be licence compliant or not. You would be taking the risk. As others have said, there is no technical limitation.

I currently run 2 VMs under R2. Both are Win 7 x64 instances - one for Plex Media Server (conflicts with RWA VPN otherwise) and another for torrents. Couldn't get Sabnzbd and Sickbeard to run reliably in a VM.