RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Episode 255, Average Size Server Please!

Dave

Check eBay for WD and Pluggable cards that use NEC. Sedna from NewEgg work as well. It seems like there is a low profile Dell card on eBay as well.

Sent from my Lumia 925 using Tapatalk

ok, then that's the one I'll get. One more question, would you advise to use a USB 3.0 connection like this over the eSata port? I am ready to start backing up my new WHS 2011 machines, and I see that USB 3.0 external drives are the most inexpensive way to go, they are pretty cheap on sale. There are a few eSata external drives available, or docking ports, but I thought it might be good to go with current technology, although I realize that I'm buying a card from overseas to try to make it work. What would you advise for a new setup, which way to go?

P.S....not really on topic, but I "wish" I would have known about the TS140 or the T20 before I got these n54L's.....oh well. they'll work just fine <_<

Check Joe_Miner's links.  I'd bet he has one in there.

took some searching to find it, my that's a lot of links, thanks to Joe for putting that together! He mentioned the other threads that talk about the USB 3.0 cards, but doesn't recommend anything directly. I'll go with what Shooner is talking about above. Great people on this forum

Mine is probably a bit smaller than others on this board but my wife says she's happier with it that way.

*cough*

Ahh, speaking about USB vs. eSATA, I've always found eSATA to be consistently faster, but it also seems to have more connectivity issues. As in staying connected. Sometimes they work fine for a long time, and then *poof* no connection.  Mike Martis (no-control on boards/BYOB podcast) is the one that convinced me that my love affair with eSATA over USB for extended use was a mistake. Personal experience has since then shown me he is correct.

To me, if it is a one time file transfer or something you're plugging in an using then removing for frequent file transfers, then eSATA is great. If it is for long-term connection (i.e. backup or file storage) I'd recommend USB3.

One caveat: Due to the proliferation of certain malware from USB attached devices a few years ago, some (notably federal) institutions do not permit the attachment of ANY USB device to their PCs. eSATA still works however...

• Like 1