RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New Build or Recycle?

JROrtiz

Hello everyone,

I have been contemplating a new build for quite some time but I just have not had the time to get around to it. I've recently decided to purchase a new production machine which means my current PC will be set aside. As much as I want to build a HS from scratch, it is very tempting to recycle my current PC and use it as a HS rather than just letting it sit there. It is a decent spec'd machine (Liquid Cooled Intel Q9550 on an EVGA 790i Ultra board, 4GB RAM, GTX-280). I know it sounds like it would be a bit of overkill for a HS, but the goal would be to run a couple of Ceton cards on it to share to networked HTPCs so it needs to have enough power to handle those HD streams. I'm really torn between building the server I had been planning for so long and just using this soon to be spare machine. What would you guys suggest? Use what I have to build?

I say just use what you have. This will wet your appetite plus give you a little time to see how the Ceton tuners work for remote streaming.

On the other hand, if you have the money you can help the economy recover by building a new server!

Guest no-control

I agree use what you have and get familiar with WHS and the ceton gear. Then you can make an informed decision as to what you need and don't need for a new build or upgrade.

Do a $5 raffle, and take the cash and build that dream machine! :lol:

Seriously, it seems a shame to not do something with the Q9550 system. Not even the top-rated onboard-GPU model (Clarkdale) CPU matches the Q9550 for overall processing power. But if power consumption is a factor, then the i series is the way to go. Something in the i5 series should be able to handle anything you throw at it.

Recycle the machine first and see how you like it. If it's too much machine for the job, look for something less. Most of all, have fun with it and try before you buy!

Jim

You can certainly use you hardware to experiment. However, that being said I would not use that in production. The WHS is an appliance for the most part and although we are all enthusiast and want to play, data protection comes first. Build a machine that you can setup and run 24/7 that handles protecting you data, and use your hardware for experimenting.

To make you feel better, tear down the existing maching, clean the dust bunnies off of all the parts and then rebuild it and install WHS. This way you get the best of both worlds and you save some cash.

Certainly give recycling the "old" machine a go. It makes me feel bad because it is very similar to what I upgraded my office PC to :( Before using it as a WHS box, however, I would swap out the video card for a lower power model and consider replacing the liquid cooling to an air-cooled configuration. My experience with liquid cooling has left me with the sense that I should never leave it out of my site for too long, and that is almost the opposite to how I feel about WHS.

Once you get your hands on WHS and the Ceton setup, I'm certain you'll immediately start dreaming of a new setup more tailored to WHS...

Thanks everyone. I agree with you guys that it would be a shame to see such a good system go to waste. Power consumption is really not an issue with me. I know I should be "green conscious", but when it comes to my server and my production PC, I prefer to go all out. I have nettops around the house for media and basic computing so I'm saving power there. And just to clarify, I am not new to Homeserver. I have an HP MediaSmart server that I do testing on and an existing home build, I was just looking to build a new system to replace it. I like ImTheTypeOfGuy's idea of tearing down and rebuilding which would also give me the opportunity to swap out the liquid cooling for air as mrossco suggested.

Given the overwhelming suggestion, I'll go ahead and recycle. I won't put it into production just yet. I think I'm going to set it up and wait for the Ceton cards to come in to do some testing on that setup before I start using it as my primary server.

Thanks again everyone for your input!

Thanks everyone. I agree with you guys that it would be a shame to see such a good system go to waste. Power consumption is really not an issue with me. I know I should be "green conscious", but when it comes to my server and my production PC, I prefer to go all out. I have nettops around the house for media and basic computing so I'm saving power there. And just to clarify, I am not new to Homeserver. I have an HP MediaSmart server that I do testing on and an existing home build, I was just looking to build a new system to replace it. I like ImTheTypeOfGuy's idea of tearing down and rebuilding which would also give me the opportunity to swap out the liquid cooling for air as mrossco suggested.

Given the overwhelming suggestion, I'll go ahead and recycle. I won't put it into production just yet. I think I'm going to set it up and wait for the Ceton cards to come in to do some testing on that setup before I start using it as my primary server.

Thanks again everyone for your input!

Good luck. Take some pictures when you do it and share them with us.