RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Kman

NAS and Client Backup

Kman

That's basically what I have just decided.  I have gone with a Synology for my storage and my existing WHS2011 will just be used to backup OS and apps on everyone's PC.  All photos and documents will then be pointed at the Synology and then I will use something like  Allwayssync to sync back to my existing drives on in the server as an onsite copy of my data and for the documents and family photos they will also be backed up to crashplan.

I hope this will solve my storage/backup problems.

This will give me more then enough storage space for today and at least the next little while.  I will also have my Baremetal restore that in my house I can't live without.  it will cost me a bit more then moving to the new windows server but for me the complexity will be much more my style.

Also the extra apps the Synology will provide like private cloud storage, Music, photos  and who knows

Also with the home server up I still have my RDP access into my home network yes sometime I have to look at VPN but hey you can only play with so much at a time

Thanks all

ikon

jmwills

I do  mine the exact opposite of Kman.

jmwills

Keep your WHS box, possible upgrade to 2011, and set the Synology box as a backup location fro WHS, or at least use some batch files or scripts to auto copy the data to the Synology box.

Only one of the boxes would be available from the outside world unless you use some alternate ports for mapping.

Kman

Well I have a few reasons to move to Synology as my main location.  First the phone apps for accessing pictures, files, music and cloud.  I have found these work so nice and wow makes life easer then with my current WHS2011.   I'm now just working in Syncing files back to WHS and this seems to be a bit of a challenge.  I'm going to be using Allways Sync and seems to need to do more looking around on how to automate it when I'm not logged into the server.  WHS backups are working this weeks so all desktops are now backed up.  I also removed things like photos and music from the backup as I will have to copies one on Synology and one on WHS with a crashplan backup also

As for accessing both from the net After moving my Synology DSM to 5 things seem to be working.  I can access my WHS and login and RDP to things I can also use all my Synology apps all at the same time

Also my WHS has no real raid while in my Synology I'm using the SRH-2

Always open to other suggestions

ikon

You should be able to use Task Scheduler  to automate AllWaysSync. Alternately, you could use RoboCopy and Batch files to copy the files over on a schedule. FYI, RoboCopy can be set up to only copy over files that have been added or changed.