RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Kman

NAS and Client Backup

Kman

Hope you can help or suggest

Background:  I have been a long time home server user from v1 to 2011 but now it's a way to big of jump from my little understanding to 2012.  As my 2011 is running out of space and has lots of backup errors mostly do to the 2tb limit. Even when I ask the family not to store on c drive they still do or even temporary and then that night backup do not work. It seems to be a few days before the server works night after night again without errors on the persons pc or the server backup itself. 

Moving Forward:

My new thought is to go with NAS and move all data I was going to still use 2011 for backup or should I?

I know I have asked this many times but seems maybe there is no better solution but is there any company that make a  backup software that can perform like WHS?

• Nightly backups without doing anything (a MUST have)
  • **** Baremetal restore when you loose a C drive on client computer (a MUST MUST have)
  • De-Dupe to keep size down (Bounce not required)
  • Able to access a given file if needed (Bounce not required)
  • Extra Bounce some type of android app to backup phones and tablets

I can tell you that over the last 3-4 years I have used the bare metal restore at least 5 times and thank the computer gods each time on how easy it was ..... I tell my family wow look your pc is just like it was yesterday and the family think I'm an IT master :)

I have looked at many of the NAS offerings and most have backup software but non that I have found offer Baremetal backup / restore

Why is this one peace of software so hard to find?  Keep in mind it should be a home offering or at least something at a home cost less then 10 pc's

I'm sure I'm not alone

jmwills

If Bare Metal is that important and it sounds like it is, I would not move away from 2011 or 2012.  You could use something like Acronis but that will cost.  You can keep the users from downloading onto the C Drive just by shrinking the C drive and creating a new D drive and redirect the Downloads there, it not all of the Documents.

But I will agree, BMR is just to stinking easy and it works.

ikon

I agree: WHS BMR is da bomb.

I'm confused by one thing. How is it your family members have access to the C: drive at all? In my house, no one has access to C: except me.

Kman

I'm confused by one thing. How is it your family members have access to the C: drive at all? In my house, no one has access to C: except me.

Mmmm I'm not sure how to stop that but what I have done is when they go into documents they are pointed to there personal folder on the server when they go to photos they point to the photos on the server. 

They do have full access to D drive on there own pc and this drive is not backed up but should only hold games as all other stuff should be on the server

now what they have been doing recently is copy the contents of there phone to the desktop and that really created some problems

let me know if you have some suggestions to me

Also from the sounds of it there is no better backup solution so guess I just have to work with what I have and expand space with nas and use WHS2011 as backup solution

jmwills

Take away their Admin Rights.  Full control to the Drive and that would allow them to copy their phone contents there and not clog up the backups.

ikon

Are family members able/allowed to log into the server from a keyboard & monitor attached to the server? If so, I would take that away. Remove the keyboard, monitor, & mouse and do your admin remotely.

Kman

Well no one else can log directly to the server.  I do have Mouse without Boarders but that only works from my pc and I have the only account for that.  most of the time it's RDP but again I don't think any of there accounts has access to RDP into the server so on the server side it's locked right down.

Thanks for the suggestion and when I have time I will try and remove there own access to the c drive on their local pc and see how that goes they already don't have admin rights so I'm good that way

jmwills

And change the local admin password or disable that account too.  Now, every time something needs to be installed, you are going to be summoned.

The only C Drive access they will have is to their own Users Folders which is by default on C.  You can redirect the child folders but leave the parent on C.

ikon

OK, now I get it. At first I was thinking you meant the C: drive on the server. My bad. Yeah, C: drive on their own computer is tougher.

StillGrey

Yea, you have to "evaluate" your data :)

I mean the goal is to get the stuff that does not change out of the backup database.  I would say in the share called Photos, but that still eats into your 2tb.  You can't get any software cheaper than WHS 2011.  I think I would actually build a second home server for "data" and keep the other for backups.  Move all the photos to the second WHS and configure backup to a usb drive for it,  That way you have a backup of your desktops as well as Photos/stuff.