RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Best Wireless Option for N40L

ziki

I need to stream video files, from the hard drives of N40L to my netbook in order to play them back from there. What's my best bet? Get a usb wireless n adapter, or connect it with ethernet to decent a wireless n router?

So far i have a Sagem 2424 router, which is the default my ISP gave me and is very old. I can get an adapter like this one http://www.asus.com/Networking/USBN13/ or you can advise me which decent router to get.

Gigabit wired connection to any good wireless router.

Edited by jmwills

News to me.  The only news item I know about Asus routers is they were in a lawsuit with someone for patent infringement.

What personal information can possibly be on my router?  Firmware updates handle most if not all security issues.

Okay I did see an article about that but I'd bet these were people who left the SSID at the default, didn't change the default password, and left UPnP enabled.  I'm not concerned with it.

EVERY device on the market is vulnerable, I mean EVERY ONE.  Common sense and a little planing reduces those odds tremendously.

As above, any device has the ability to be attacked in one way or another, unless you dont plug it in, but that kinda defeats the object.

As long as you get it out of the box, FW udpate if required then set SSID/Passwords, turn or WiFi admin, HTTPS if an option on stuff like that then you should be ok.

Yeah, meant that to be part of the turn off WiFi admin access, kinda take all do this for granted but you have to break it all down and presume people dont know much/anything without it coming across as patronising...