RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Restricting access to internet for users...

ChadRT

I have seen several posts on TN regarding this topic but some of the solutions are quite expensive!!  I would like to be able to accomplish this task without breaking the bank.  Everyone is allowed to use the internet here they listen to Pandora, use different sites for mapping out driver locations etc.  But we like to restrict things like social networking, personal email and the obvious adult oriented sites.  This policy was built after a string of mishaps that forced me to reimage a couple computers that had viruses from drivers at night that would browse adult sites and a day time dispatcher that got a virus from her personal email account.  I surely cant afford the loss in my budget of a few thousand dollars.  Thanks for the input!

I have seen several posts on TN regarding this topic but some of the solutions are quite expensive!!  I would like to be able to accomplish this task without breaking the bank.  Everyone is allowed to use the internet here they listen to Pandora, use different sites for mapping out driver locations etc.  But we like to restrict things like social networking, personal email and the obvious adult oriented sites.  This policy was built after a string of mishaps that forced me to reimage a couple computers that had viruses from drivers at night that would browse adult sites and a day time dispatcher that got a virus from her personal email account.  I surely cant afford the loss in my budget of a few thousand dollars.  Thanks for the input!

my e4200 cisco (4 port router ) allows me to restrict certain site access. At home I restrict facebook and some other things so that in the night my other half's phone does not irritate! 

Easy way to solve for not much money. Also specific mac address also if needed.

One thing I forgot to mention is that certain users get elevated privileges.  Like me, I know that I am not going to open a funny email with a video to download that is actually a virus especially from someone I do not know.  And then there is the owner, bless her for all that she does for me, she requires uninhibited access and I have had to reimage her system too a couple times.  But that is the perks of owning the company I suppose.

All systems are blocked from accessing adult sites, warez, violence etc. (even hers)

I'm thinking a good software UTM like Untangle, pfSense, Sophos, etc. is what you're looking for. It can sit between your computers and the Internet and filter out a lot of stuff. The software ones are much more sophisticated and powerful than the typical consumer level routers most people use.

I use smoothwall express with the dansguardian mod to keep my family safe. You can exclude certain it addresses from the filter. It's all free.

Edited by revengineer

How's that backlash against a Domain looking these days?  Not a jab at the OP but all those who berate using a domain.  Group Policy can handle this rather nicely.