RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

CPU comparison

Trig0r

Been looking at Gen8's, saw on here the otherday a link which compared the G1610, G2020 and Xeon's against the older Gen7's etc.

Cant for the life of me find it now, was it on here or am I cracking up?

The easiest way to find stuff in the HomeServerShow forums is to use Bing or google. Along with your other parameters, include the term "site:homeservershow.com" This will restrict the results to only those that are on homeservershow.com.

Do we need results for the 1220L V2?  Curious, since I just installed mine.

is this it http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E3-1220+V2+@+3.10GHz

I think you're the first -- 

I'll update the table 

I was wrong -- that was first reported by ElvisDK Oct 22 2013

Edited by Joe_Miner

Interesting.  I'm getting a benchmark score of 3591 (his test was on turbo?).  Also, that cpu is listed as a 1220 V2 (not the L version), with TDP of 69 watts, and 4 cores.

Also interesting:  My power consumption went from 66.5 watts to 73 watts with the upgrade from the Celeron.  Am I missing something?  How is a 17 watt CPU drawing MORE power? 

Edited by Firebaall

Interesting.  I'm getting a benchmark score of 3591 (his test was on turbo?).  Also, that cpu is listed as a 1220 V2 (not the L version), with TDP of 69 watts, and 4 cores.

Also interesting:  My power consumption went from 66.5 watts to 73 watts with the upgrade from the Celeron.  Am I missing something?  How is a 17 watt CPU drawing MORE power? 

You sir are correct.  The Xeon E31220LV2 is different from the Sandy Bridge Xeon E31220L and the Ivy Bridge Xeon E31220V2!

I haven't found the Xeon E31220LV2 on CPU BenchMark -- did you submit your scores to Passmark?  Is 3591 what you're getting in Passmark?

I don't have an answer to your power consumption question -- it's a mystery to me too at the moment.

Status Launched Launch Date Q2'12 Processor Number E3-1220LV2 # of Cores 2 # of Threads 4 Clock Speed 2.3 GHz Max Turbo Frequency 3.5 GHz Intel® Smart Cache 3 MB DMI 5 GT/s Instruction Set 64-bit Instruction Set Extensions AVX, SSE4.1,SSE4.2 Embedded Options Available

No Lithography 22 nm Max TDP 17 W Recommended Customer Price TRAY: $189.00

Edited by Joe_Miner

Yes, I used Passmark for that score.  I didn't submit the original scores, but I ran the benchmark again and sent them in just now.

You will find that it's likely unless the cpu is 100% loaded the xeon will often even in idle state draw it's TDP figure. 

Celeron's tend to automatically undervolt themselves. often under 1v where a xeon will use right up to its tdp figure. 

I have 2x xeon's from the 1366 series one is a L and one is a W the L pretty much grabs onto it's TDP and doesn't go below but given it's on such a low draw it's nice and cool. 

My W series xeon will with speedstep etc will go from 6w right up to it;s TDP figure. Also the L series xeon seems to always be available at its rated multiplier / clock speed. Where if power saving is enabled the W series takes a moment to clock up to it's multiplier / clock speed.

All cpu's for a socket pretty much begin life the same then intel bin's the processors to qualify what they will become. 

example. 

a G1610t probably didn't have the HT functioning 100% and didn't seem to perform 100% at a certain voltage. So it becomes the lowest of the low. 

a 1220L may have not had performance across all 4 cores with HT enabled so it loses 2 cores etc. the 1265L is the top dog in the e3 lineup as it's probably failed none of the bin tests.

Also the xeon's are binned before desktop variants. So technically the silicon in a 1265L is better than every other 1155 socket cpu.