RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Quick spec change?

Trig0r

Still looking at replacing my N40L/Gen7 unit with one of the Gen8's, trying to decide between buying the base/entry G1610T box and then upgrading to the Xeon later.

Do I get the G1610T, knowing its crap and will be replaced with a Xeon, do I get the G2020T on the off chance it might be fast enough (given the N40L I have atm) or do I look at the ML310...

But, I decided to look at the quick spec to help me decide what part vs spec options there are (thinking G1610T, 4Gb, 1Tb w DVD/RW) and I noticed that the quick spec now lists the Xeon E3-1220...

Is there a revision update thats gone out or has it always been in there?

I has assumed that people had started with either the 1610 or 2020 and then had to verify the Xeon's worked, now its in the specs...

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/14565_na/14565_na.pdf

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stix01

• Trig0r

• Royco

• Shonk

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok,

I really think going the g1610t is going to be the way to upgrade best. For me in the UK the xeon optioned box is going to fetch £500 which is far to much given I paid £279 + vat for my 1610t the 1610t is pretty slow but with 4gb of ram and WHS2011 I'm managing to transcode 1080p MKV via plex so it's not ultra slow. 

Yes this is a revision update. 

Do you have the part code for the UK/Xeon combo.

I'm thinking G1610T, 4Gb, 1Tb, DVD/RW at the minute then the 4gb, 1tb can go in my Gen7 and I can move my oher drives over to the Gen8 box and then sell the N40L..

However the G1610T 2Gb 0Tb option comes in at less than £300 (712317-421)

Oh, and on the transcoding side 2x streams at 720 would do me tbh, 1080 would be nice but if the G2020T wouldnt do that either then the next CPU option is Xeon, 1220 is around the £140 mark or the 1230 which comes in around the £180 mark.

Edited by Trig0r

Also there is 2gb genuine gen8 ram on ebay uk for £23 I was going to buy but purchased 2gb off a forum member. Then you could use below listed cpu and manage 4gb 4 thread for under £500 

What about the i3 3220t? this is avail from lots of uk suppliers under £100 this has 4 threads , 2.8 ghz and probably would manage 2x 1080p streams. 

The HP part number for the xeon box is F9A40A

Edited by stix01

Hmmm, that i3 could be a winner, not got VT-d but thats not biggy for me tbh, certainly cheaper than the Xeon options.

Will get my guy to get me pricing on the chips and go from there..

Hmmm, that i3 could be a winner, not got VT-d but thats not biggy for me tbh, certainly cheaper than the Xeon options.

Will get my guy to get me pricing on the chips and go from there..

Would you mind posting what your price for the 3220t is for the UK as I'm not 100% if I will buy a 1260L now given I've discovered the 3220t available. best I can get is just under 90 gbp but it really should be cheaper given the tray price on these.

Will do, have asked him to get the price on the i5-3470T as well just in case..

Oh, and if anyone lands on this page and wants to check the different CPU's out, Intel ARK link below.

http://ark.intel.com/compare/65703,71069,65694,53401,65728,52275

The lack of listed support for ECC scares me off. Until someone from the forums tests I wouldn't dive in personally. The 3220t seems like great value I wish used were avail as they would be a good used buy for a microserver.

This link not good enough?

http://deploymentbunny.com/2014/01/05/in-the-labhp-proliant-microserver-gen-8from-g1610t-to-i5-3470t/

Looks like he has the i5 working..

Still waiting on prices this end, have had my supplier email me and the disty is giving him greif saying I shouldnt be putting CPU's in servers :lol:

Told him to tell the disty to piss off, either they sell me one or someone else does :D

This link not good enough?

http://deploymentbunny.com/2014/01/05/in-the-labhp-proliant-microserver-gen-8from-g1610t-to-i5-3470t/

Looks like he has the i5 working..

Still waiting on prices this end, have had my supplier email me and the disty is giving him greif saying I shouldnt be putting CPU's in servers :lol:

Told him to tell the disty to piss off, either they sell me one or someone else does :D

Not really he hasnt shown the memory tab to show it's running ECC memory.