RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server 2012 Connector software error.. ... ..

amorendios

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is my issue.

My church wants to get a server, but no one would know how to use it.

So I put Server 2012 on my desktop to see if I could hook a couple of computers up in my house and see if server 2012 will do what we want.

I setup adds, new forest, promoted to a DC. Installed windows essentials experience.

Then I setup a pc in the house. Windows 7 ultimate., joined it to the domain., rebooted, checked again, now that PC is part of the domain. 

went to IPv4 setting made primary dns server my router IP.

When I got to http://192.168.11.45. The site says: "Digest" . I looked up digest and I guess it refers to a certain type of authentication. I changed the client and the server to basic authentication but the "site says digest" still appears. When I log in using admin credentials all I get is a blank page. I set up a new user and added him to the administrators group. When new user trys to log in, all we get is a blank page, instead of the connection wizard. ?????

Any ideas. ? I hope it's something simple

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• amorendios

• doliveira

Server 2012 has no "software connector" for clients. You would need the Essentials version for this.

To "join" clients to a "pure" domain, you will first need to pre-stage the computer accounts in AD and then from each domain member (client) join them to the Domain by changing the Workgroup to a Domain and then supply Domain Admin Credentials.

Server 2012 has no Remote Access feature built into it like 2012 Essentials/R2 either.

Hi, may be trying the following ip adress: http://192.168.1.145/connect

Just an idea like this, as I've never saw a local network ip like the one you wrote unless you mistyped it...

Claude

Edited by klode784

Run an "ipconfig /all" from the client and post those results.  Also, what do you get when you ping the server?  What firewalls and AV are in place?

I also went back and read your post again.  To me that whole "Essentials Experience" is a fair amount of witchcraft but I would make sure you have all the updates installed and also disable IPv6.

Digest Authentication is similar to NTLM in that it is a challenge/response protocol so it is doing what it is supposed to do.  Not sure if Digest Authen. is being introduced into the mix via the Essentials Experience.

Hi, may be trying the following ip adress: http://192.168.1.145/connect

Just an idea like this, as I've never saw a local network ip like the one you wrote unless you mistyped it...

Claude

Actually, you can have 192.168.200.45 as an IP if you want to. Your IP shouldn't cause the essentials connector to fail.

Thank you for all the fast responses. Here's a little more background. I'm running windows server 2012 R2 standard. The connector software is not a main concern unless it is absolutely necessary. When a user logs in to the server, I want them to have access to the shares on the server. When I type in http://serverIP/myshare, I get the "digest" authentication box, type in username and pass, and it takes me to a blank screen. ?? 

icon_share.png jmwills, I disabled IPv6. The client is connecting with a usb network adapter. both client and server are on the same network. If I ping the server from the local user acct. I get : Pinging 192.168.11.45 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.11.45: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.11.45: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.11.45:
    Packets: Sent = 6, Received = 6, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 7ms, Average = 2ms
Control-C

Can you post an ipconfig /all from the client?  You really shouldn't see the share from a URL but rather from the UNC connection in Explorer, such as:

\\192.168.11.45\  and the shares should populate

cont.

I have AVG, so I temp disabled that and windows wirewall, unchecked IPv6 in the adapter properties box (I assume that disables it). I tried to access server share at http:/192.168.11.45/sharename, it gives me the "digest" auth box, I type in username and passw., I get a blank screen. I've tried the dns server as  192.168.11.1 and 192.168.11.45, no change 

when I type in ipconfig /all,   I get:

C:\Users\DC5750>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DC5750-PC
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : FCFT.com
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : FCFT.com

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR WNDA3100v2 N600 Wireless Dual Ban
d USB Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-26-F2-45-EA-C3
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.11.12(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.11.1
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.11.45
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet #2
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-92-E4-C4-9C
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter isatap.{3AE782F2-C66C-4A32-AE59-5611E19E86DD}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.11.12%12(Preferred)
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.11.45
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Tunnel adapter isatap.{221DB20F-833D-441B-9582-23B3C3360FB6}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

So, I can see the shares from explorer. Thank you for clearing that up.  So, I guess I'm confused. What should happen when I go to . In addition, even if I go to http://serverIP/   and put in some fictitious folder like, http://serverIP/eatmybrains , it still prompts me for authentication, and when I enter the credentials , I don't even get an error, just a blank page.

I take it your server's IP is 192.168.11.45, correct?

I'm wondering why your using http. Are you trying to access the shares on the server using Internet Explorer? You can't do that. Well, OK, there are things that can be done to make the shares available via a browser but, for the moment, let's go with "you can't do that".

You need to use Windows Explorer to see the shares. If you start up Windows Explorer and type \\192.168.11.45 in the address box, you should see a list of shared folders. You may, or may not, be prompted to enter login credentials, depending on what account you used to log into the client computer.

When you use Internet Explorer and enter the server's URL, you're trying to access its web page. Most likely, you have not set up the web server feature, so you won't really get anything.

Question: do the Essentials Experience VM and the main/host server have the same IP? I ask because Essentials Experience should have a default web page automatically set up.