RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
IAmTheDude

Would Like Some Advice On Upgrades

IAmTheDude

Hi

I'm currently studying for my MTA and then the MSCE so am going to be spending a little more time with my N54L this year.

I'm in the process of upgrading my PC and want to add a little more to the N54L to get it running at a more suitable level for my exams.

When it first arrived I put in my 2x2TB drives from my old NAS in JBOD and set 2008R2 on it to quickly get my media back up and running on the network. Since then I haven't really thought about it. In fact I completely forgot that it was a server and not just a NAS any more  -_-

I'm hoping I could get some insight on a couple of things from you guys to help me on my way.

Firstly, I currently have Patriot G Series 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Dual Channel (PGS34G1333ELK) in my PC but haven't been able to find any information in the compatibility with the N54L. Hoping I can as it will save me that little bit of cash for the time being

If not then I'm looking at this RAM to take it to 8GB (PNY Optima 4GB DIMM Module DDR3-1333MHz PC3-10660 Retail)

I understand the ECC/Non-ECC but for now its not mission critical and will suffice. I would eventually need to take it to 16GB to get the best out of Hyper-V etc but that's for the future.

Secondly, I'm running it through VGA to a 19" TV as I had a spare so the graphics are just usable (mostly use RDP from my main PC) but am looking to add a card to use HDMI.

I don't spend a lot of time with graphics hardware but reading HSS I see that a Radeon 5450 or 6450 is a good way to go.

I've found these so far Sapphire HD 5450 2GB & Sapphire HD 5450 1GB or Sapphire HD 6450 1GB & MSI HD 6450 2G.

I'm lost when it comes to this 1GB vs 2GB, 5450 vs 6450 etc and are all in the same price bracket  :unsure:

Again it wont be used for gaming or even media usage but will have to take the exams into consideration. I haven't really looked into Hyper-V and don't know how much a decent gfx card will effect the performance as a host yet.

I appreciate any input and advice from you guys and am now going to go drool over some of the setups I've found from other members!

tangcla

Not too sure on the RAM - but with the graphics card, ATi version numbering - first digit is the generation (higher is newer), then the following are the range (again, higher is newer). In general, 5450 and 6450 would be the same in terms of level (low-tier) and the 6450 would be a newer generation (perhaps smaller die etc). 6450 > 5450.

In terms of size, 1GB vs 2GB - won't matter in this case, but again in general, larger is better right? :) really, whatever card you get, you won't use it to anywhere near its full potential, just get the cheapest card you can.

LoneWolf

If you're not going to game, you might want to see how the onboard video does and save the slot for something more useful.  A graphics card isn't going to do much for you with Hyper-V.  Actually, I'd consider buying the Remote Access Card and just remoting into the system through the RAC's IP-KVM for lab work. Other expansion cards are more useful for Hyper-V like another network card (or a dual-NIC) or a RAID card to add redundancy or increase I/O performance.

Pretty generic PC3-10600/10660/12800 DDR3 should work fine, and it doesn't have to be ECC.  I'd stay 8GB; the N54L is picky about going to 16GB, it works for some and not for others.

Edited by LoneWolf

Essexraptor

Your best port of call for this advice would be .... the course tutor(s).

Buy the hardware you NEED. ... not a bunch of stuff that looks good.

After reading these boards for a short while. ... It would appear that if your going to do any serious virtualisation. . the Micro is not the one. .... Visit Hyper-V and Esxi boards to get the best info

IAmTheDude

Sorry for the late response, Id not set up my notifications and missed the posts! 

Not too sure on the RAM - but with the graphics card, ATi version numbering - first digit is the generation (higher is newer), then the following are the range (again, higher is newer). In general, 5450 and 6450 would be the same in terms of level (low-tier) and the 6450 would be a newer generation (perhaps smaller die etc). 6450 > 5450.

In terms of size, 1GB vs 2GB - won't matter in this case, but again in general, larger is better right? :) really, whatever card you get, you won't use it to anywhere near its full potential, just get the cheapest card you can.

Thats good to know, very little experience with gfx cards in general due to never having a need to use them before (console gamer) and doing a bit more reading even the 1gb would do 1080p easily which is more than enough for normal usage.

If you're not going to game, you might want to see how the onboard video does and save the slot for something more useful.  A graphics card isn't going to do much for you with Hyper-V.  Actually, I'd consider buying the Remote Access Card and just remoting into the system through the RAC's IP-KVM for lab work. Other expansion cards are more useful for Hyper-V like another network card (or a dual-NIC) or a RAID card to add redundancy or increase I/O performance.

Pretty generic PC3-10600/10660/12800 DDR3 should work fine, and it doesn't have to be ECC.  I'd stay 8GB; the N54L is picky about going to 16GB, it works for some and not for others.

The onboard does ok but cries in pain when anything other than normal is involved, plus its 1024 stretched to fit 19" widescreen so it looks awful. A gfx card would kill two birds (audio & video) and hopefully take some of the work from the CPU. With 2GB RAM it just crawls to a halt with a couple of tabs open in chrome and the screen rendering goes a bit nuts.

As a server its perfect though, does everything flawlessly.

I think I need to sit down and start from scratch with it. I plan on mounting the 250GB OS drive in the 5.25" bay and putting my other 2x2TB from my PC in it as well, along with the BIOS mod and WS2012. Just need to find the time to do it, it was just thrown together when it came to get it up and running.

The price of RAM at the moment is quite high so have to wait a little longer but if 8GB is going to be be enough then Id be happy at that, my PC only runs 4GB and does everything I need fine. 16GB is always a pipe dream :)

Your best port of call for this advice would be .... the course tutor(s).

Buy the hardware you NEED. ... not a bunch of stuff that looks good.

After reading these boards for a short while. ... It would appear that if your going to do any serious virtualisation. . the Micro is not the one. .... Visit Hyper-V and Esxi boards to get the best info

They recommend 'enough to run 3-4 machines, virtual or physical' for the labs.  So with my old laptops and some VMs on my PC I'd only really need 1 on the HP (the DC) which would do the most of the grunt work but the addition of extra clients is helpful.

It isnt really going to be 'true' virtulization, just enough to get a small lab up and running to play with.

ikon

With 2GB RAM it just crawls to a halt with a couple of tabs open in chrome and the screen rendering goes a bit nuts.

You surf the web using your server?????

IAmTheDude

You surf the web using your server?????

A lot of stuff running on it is browser based (Plex etc) but I have used it to surf for a bit when PC was off lol It wasnt pretty...

Ive took next friday off for a delivery so am going to sit down and start from scratch.

Opted for these for the first stage, RAM will have to wait.

Nexus DoubleTwin - £7.99 - For the 250 drive in optical bay, will only use one drive in it for now but gives option of expansion later on and frees up all the main bay. My drives from PC will now all fit.

MSIHD 6450 2GB - £35.79 - Its only £4 more than the 1GB so may as well! 

Windows Server 2012 - for the OS

Now, really quick questions:

Do I need any extras like cabling or splitters etc or will I get everything I need in the boxes?

Could you kindly provide a link to the latest BIOS mod for what Ill need, Ive found several links but no idea how outdated they are.

Im really looking forward to this now and have a week to do some reading before diving in!

ikon

I'll leave the Microserver-specific questions to those with a lot more experience with them. I was asking about using a server to surf the web in a general sense. IMHO, it's not a good idea.

I wanted to mention that there is a difference between running web server apps on your server and using the server to surf the web -- one is a server, the other is a client. Particularly if you're only using web apps like Plex inside your LAN, there really isn't much of a worry about security. If your router is not routing port 80 to your server, the likelihood of getting an infection goes way down. If you use the server to surf the web, then it's reaching out to other web servers on the Internet and the risk to your server goes way up.

IAmTheDude

I'll leave the Microserver-specific questions to those with a lot more experience with them. I was asking about using a server to surf the web in a general sense. IMHO, it's not a good idea.

I wanted to mention that there is a difference between running web server apps on your server and using the server to surf the web -- one is a server, the other is a client. Particularly if you're only using web apps like Plex inside your LAN, there really isn't much of a worry about security. If your router is not routing port 80 to your server, the likelihood of getting an infection goes way down. If you use the server to surf the web, then it's reaching out to other web servers on the Internet and the risk to your server goes way up.

I use ESET and DDWRT with specific port forwards and all the usual firewall options in DDWRT on all my PCs and touch wood, been ok so far.

I only surf if need be or am too lazy to boot PC up to grab something to then transfer to server. Sometimes get a guide up for a game but It usually just sits with Iron open and the web server pages open.

As much as I love the chromium based browser (bar Chrome) it sure does eat away at the ram. Three or four pages and a couple of adblocker extensions and half the 2GB is gone!

Its manly used to stream to all my XBMC machines around the house, I moved my 2x2TB into it (next 2xTB into it this week)  when it arrived and setup mysql but looking to get a little more out of it now.

IAmTheDude

So far so good.

Modded BIOS installed, GFX Card in and playing nice now cooking on 1080p with sound!

Mount hasnt arrived yet but the 250GB system drive is sitting nicely on a bed of blu-tack until the mount arrives!

Now just got to strip my PC and put my other 2x2TB in the bays :)