RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Rod at home

Can't get my laptop to connect to the new router.

Rod at home

This morning I changed my 4 year old Netgear router, for a new Netgear router (a Nighthawk). The two desktops are connecting to it fine (both a Windows 8.1 Pro machines and are directly connected via RJ-45 cables).

As far as Wi-Fi is connected, I decided to keep the same SSID and passphrase when going to the new router. We've got I think 4 Windows 7 machines, of various SKU's, and they connect fine as well. (I've had to do some finagling to get it to work on one of them but within a couple of minutes it came up fine.

However, my one Windows 8.1 Pro laptop (a Sony VAIO machine) refuses to work with it. First, it won't connect. So when I get it to connect, then there's nothing there. Can't reach any network resource. Doing an ipconfig shows that I have no IP address. Naturally trying to bring up a browser goes no where at all. When I go into the charms to get to the PC settings and network, and click on the Wi-Fi SSID connection there, the only thing I can do is disconnect. I thought that maybe if I could get it to forget the Wi-Fi connection, I could then add it back again, but that option isn't open to me. I can either "connect", but as I say that's really an exercise in futility because it doesn't connect to anything at all, or I can disconnect.

I'm not sure what I should do at the moment, so how do I resolve this issue?

ikon

Hopefully it's not the case here, but I have seen situations where a particular device simply is incompatible with a certain router or access point.

First, try disabling ALL security settings on the router. IOW, disable Wireless Security. This is strictly a temporary measure, to troubleshoot. Once security is disabled try to connect the Win8.1 client to the router.

If it does connect then you know it's the security settings that are the issue. This could be something as simple as the router not being able to accept 1 or more of the characters in your Security Key. I had this with a wireless photo frame. Report back with the results.

Let's hope disabling Security works; it's a good thing, because we can work up from that.

If all else fails, you may have to get your hands dirty with the nitty gritty of wireless links. One thing you can try is to look for the Preamble. Make sure it's set the same way on the router and wireless client. Also, if it's set to Short, you can try setting it to Long, and vice-versa. But let's not go to this length just yet.

schoondoggy

Your router is dual band 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz. Did you enable both and are you trying to connect to the 5Ghz connection. The symptoms you describe sound like the issues around some of the compatability issues of 5Ghz. On my WAP I have two SSID, one for each frequency. 

Rod at home

Hi ikon,

I just now read your reply. I've already directly connected my laptop to the router (there is one unused RJ-45 port I plugged it into). When I did, the laptop worked fine; could fine other resources, could surface the Web, etc. But obviously I don't want to do it that way.

Hi schoondoggy,

Yes, I've enabled both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands on the router, using both the same SSID and passphrase that I used on the older router. The laptop is trying to connect to the 2.4 GHz band.

schoondoggy

I think they should to be on separate SSID.

Try changing the SSID on the 5Ghz and see what happens.

I should add, it sounds like the R7000 supports the sames SSID on both radios, this allows the device connecting to choose 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz. 

It sounds like some devices have issues choosing. That is why I am suggesting that you change one of the SSID.

ikon

Using a hardwire connection for the laptop eliminates all the wireless security concerns. It doesn't address any of the issues I raised.

I still think you need to disable the wireless security and try connecting the laptop to the router again. We need to establish if the hardware is compatible before worrying about security.

jmwills

Delete the old wireless profile/connection parameters and create a new one.

Rod at home

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. What I did, when moving from the old router to the new router, is used the same SSID's that I used on the old router with the new router. They are in fact different SSID's from each other; just named the same as they were on the old router.

Rod at home

I've tried doing that, but cannot.

jmwills

Can you post the results on ipconfig /all ?