RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen8 not seeing all 4 WD Red 4TBs

cmoschip

I have a Gen8 with four Western Digital Red 4Tb drives.   

Here are the symptoms I have:

1. With the internal drive cage connected to the embedded B120i controller, the B120i only sees two of the drives - bays 2 and 4
  2. With the internal cage connected to the embedded B120i controller, AND RAID disabled and SATA operation set to LEGACY, I can see all four drives.
  3. With the internal cage connected to a new P422 Smart Array conroller, the P422 only sees two of the drives - bays 2 and 4

Will these Red 4Tbs not work in the Gen8?

Have you updated all of the firmware on the Gen 8?

No - is HP's Smart Update Manager the best way to go about that?

also - my correction - I bought a P222, not a P422.  

So bays 2 and 4 are visible to the RAID controlled (either embedded, or the P222 when I move the cable to it).

So I decided to swap the drives in bays 1 and 2, and bays 3 and 4.

So now the P222 RAID controller sees drives in 1 and 3, no longer 2 and 4 - it followed the drives.

Sure feels like they are spun up.    And when not using RAID, the embedded SATA controller recognizes drives there.   

I'm skeptical that 2 of the 4 drives I bought are bad.

I guess I can test these in a desktop PC or something?  To determine that it's a problem with either the drive or maybe not fully spinning up?

I'm just an idiot.   It's always the simple things.   I pulled the two that don't appear to be recognized.    One spins up fine (using a external power adapter to test).  The other starts to s[pin, quietly clicks, then spins down.   I'll test the one that spins in a desktop machine but it looks like I had a 50% failure rate on 4 of these Reds.

Situations like this are exactly why I always SpinRite drives before putting them into production.

Now, I am a little puzzled. I was going to ask earlier whether you had verified that the drives are actually good, by connecting them to another computer, but I didn't because you said you were able to see all 4 drives by using Legacy. Were you able to repeatedly have this configuration see all 4 drives? It doesn't sound like it.

Situations like this are exactly why I always SpinRite drives before putting them into production.

Now, I am a little puzzled. I was going to ask earlier whether you had verified that the drives are actually good, by connecting them to another computer, but I didn't because you said you were able to see all 4 drives by using Legacy. Were you able to repeatedly have this configuration see all 4 drives? It doesn't sound like it.

Yes - repeatedly (the 4 times I tried, anyway) however it wasn't accessing them for disk IO, just seeing them identified in the SATA POST screen information on boot.

I guess a combination not thinking 2 of 4 would be bad, and something about them being in bays 1 and 3 (now I know was irrelevant) as if they were on a "channel" or bus that was having a problem.   Simplest answer is always a good choice...   how does it go?  "do you have it plugged in"?