RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
stix01

Xeon officially supported e3 1220L v2

Firebaall

That's good news.  I'm stuck waiting for the one I ordered out of Taiwan. 

It's too bad these cpus are such a pain in the arse to find.  I bet Intel would sell quite a few if they made these available to the public.  I know I would have been more than happy, picking up a brand new one.

LoneWolf

This is a processor I still believe HP should offer in the upper configuration.  Get rid of the G1610T, and just offer the G2020T and the E3-1220L v2.

stix01

This is a processor I still believe HP should offer in the upper configuration. Get rid of the G1610T, and just offer the G2020T and the E3-1220L v2.

Agreed - if hp had always had the 1220L on offer is have purchased instead of a g1610t and upgrade path. Eugh I wish there was a real microserver dedicated product manager who was switched on. I know at work we would use a microserver with a xeon as a development box as it could just sit in our office and has a tiny footprint... I'm sure a low power quiet server with some horsepower actually would sell very well. It's just I guess they won't to keep customers having to buy large boxes.

LoneWolf

Agreed - if hp had always had the 1220L on offer is have purchased instead of a g1610t and upgrade path. Eugh I wish there was a real microserver dedicated product manager who was switched on. I know at work we would use a microserver with a xeon as a development box as it could just sit in our office and has a tiny footprint... I'm sure a low power quiet server with some horsepower actually would sell very well. It's just I guess they won't to keep customers having to buy large boxes.

They want you to go one step up - the ProLiant ML310e.  Which really isn't a bad box either, and has a relatively modest footprint.

Firebaall

Special delivery from Taiwan arrived today!

zER9fjm.jpg

• Like 1

Joe_Miner

Special delivery from Taiwan arrived today!

zER9fjm.jpg

Beautiful Picture!

Trig0r

I looked at getting the Xeon version the otherday when I was poking through the quick spec's and noticed that the Xeon was in there as an option, it worked out cheaper to get the i3 and use that rather than the Xeon version..

Might be interesting to some to do a comparison between your Xeon unit and my i3 when the CPU lands (Still rocking the G1610T atm) and seeing what the real world difference is...

ikon

Might be interesting to some to do a comparison between your Xeon unit and my i3 when the CPU lands (Still rocking the G1610T atm) and seeing what the real world difference is...

Do you have any plans to try non-ECC RAM with the i3?

stix01

I looked at getting the Xeon version the otherday when I was poking through the quick spec's and noticed that the Xeon was in there as an option, it worked out cheaper to get the i3 and use that rather than the Xeon version..

I suspect that there will not be much difference at all between the two cpu's