RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Ubiquiti Networks UAP-3 - UniFi Indoor 802.11n 300Mbps WiFi AP (3 pack) $179.99

Dave

$179.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1EA0CD6556

Ubiquiti Networks UAP-3 - UniFi Indoor 802.11n MIMO Access Point 300 Mbps to 400 ft PoE (3 pack)

Ubiquiti UniFi is a revolutionary WiFi system which combines carrier class performance, unlimited scalability, and a virtual management controller. Utilizes Ubiquitis AirOS which builds upon the market leading intuitive user interface loaded with advanced wireless configurations and routing functionality
• 802.11n MIMO UniFi AP supports WiFi standards 802.11 b/g/n; 2.4 GHz
• Capable of speeds up to 300 Mbps with a range of up to 122 m (400 ft).
• Power over Ethernet (PoE), Wall/Ceiling mount(Kits Included), and Security Lock
• Location tracking and alerts for each device
• LED provisioning ring, which provides administrator location tracking and alerts for each device

This is a great deal! The Ubiquiti's are a step above the rest simply because of the power over ethernet feature (POE). Most POE access points require you to have an expensive POE enabled switch. The Ubiquiti's come with a little POE ethernet adapter box that accepts the ethernet cable from your switch that you plan to use for the access point. You then plug another ethernet cable from that box and run that to the access point. This means for ceiling mounting or anywhere a power outlet is not there or accessible makes these very convenient. If you can route an ethernet cable to the spot you want to place one of these you are in good shape. Not to mention these are built at an enterprise grade level vs a lot of the consumer access points available out there.

Anybody know if these work with the integrated wireless access point management in Sophos UTM?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

This is a great deal! The Ubiquiti's are a step above the rest simply because of the power over ethernet feature (POE). Most POE access points require you to have an expensive POE enabled switch. The Ubiquiti's come with a little POE ethernet adapter box that accepts the ethernet cable from your switch that you plan to use for the access point. You then plug another ethernet cable from that box and run that to the access point. This means for ceiling mounting or anywhere a power outlet is not there or accessible makes these very convenient. If you can route an ethernet cable to the spot you want to place one of these you are in good shape. Not to mention these are built at an enterprise grade level vs a lot of the consumer access points available out there.

While I applaud Ubituiti for both providing a PoE adapter, and for the tiny size of their adapters, I wouldn't say using the adapter is a preferred option. PoE switches are somewhat more expensive, but not outrageously so, and they have the advantage of 1 less thing in the link. After all, the Ubiquiti PoE adapters do require power via their own AC adapter. All these 'extras' are potential sources of failure.

Again, I appreciate Ubiquiti providing the adapters, and I have certainly used them, but I would use a PoE switch first, if one is available.