RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Rod at home

Setting up a new router

gtechwi

Really now....I need to check this out. Do you mean it might cut the throughput on the base router, or just the repeater unit? If it's cutting the speeds on the base unit, I will do something about this immediately. Although, using speed check websites shows I'm getting the rated speeds. How would you suggest we check the throughput to make sure?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

ikon

IIRC, it would be on the repeater unit and it has to do with the fact that the repeater has to receive and transmit the same traffic and it can only do one at a time. So, it receives a wireless packet from, say, a laptop. It then has to transmit that same packet wirelessly so it can be received by the base. The same is true, in reverse, for packets coming from the base. Since each packet is being handled twice by the repeater, it cuts the total bandwidth in half.

This is why it's always preferrable to have a hardwire connection to each wireless router or access point.

gtechwi

Ah yes....we are on the same page then. I knew that going in, because it's a repeater, not a true access point. But in my case, there was no way to run a network cable to the remote router, so the wireless repeater was the only choice. This setup works fine, because all of our computers are hard wired to the main router in the office in the garage, and the repeater serves to simply boost the signal in the house for our phones and tablets. It's perfectly fine for light browsing and the occasional streaming video. Hopefully this information is of some use to the OP.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Rod at home

It's a bit complicated, but it is useful. Thank you everyone. I'm now of the opinion that I'm going to see how it all works out, now that I've got the Nighthawk (I just love that name) in place. If it looks as though the back end of the house still needs help, then I'll try setting up the old router as an Access Point.

ikon

If you decide to set up the old router, ideally you want to hardwire it back to a switch. That avoids any of the repeater issues.

Essexraptor

How do you connect to the AP or the hardware/router to set the new settings to act as a AP ?

By hardwiring to a computer by ethernet cable or some other method ?

ikon

Typically, the easiest way is to connect by Ethernet cable. However, if the computer you use to connect is using DHCP, you may have to give it a fixed IP until the new router is configured. You have to ensure the computer is using the same subnet and mask as the router.

dvn

It's a bit complicated, but it is useful. Thank you everyone. I'm now of the opinion that I'm going to see how it all works out, now that I've got the Nighthawk (I just love that name) in place. If it looks as though the back end of the house still needs help, then I'll try setting up the old router as an Access Point.

So how's this going? Is the single Nighthawk router working out for you? You getting the coverage you need?

Rod at home

So far, my Nighthawk, by itself, is covering the whole house. In fairness to everyone here, I probably should mention that my house is small, just under 1400 sq. ft. (I hate to reveal that, but I feel like it might be important for others to know who are considering this router). My older router did have a hard time reaching to the back of the house, even though I have a small house.

ikon

Nothing wrong with a 1400 sq. ft. house. Mine is 1450 and it's quite big enough for us.