RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Essentials and VMs

jabajools

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to the whole home server arena. I heard about hp proliant microservers only a few days ago and since then have bought a n54l, flashed the Bios, upgraded the RAM to 8Gig, and connected my windows 8.1 clients to the domain. I did all this as I use a HTPC a lot and managing the drive space and everything else was becoming a pain this way its all central and I learned a few things along the way (for which I owe this site and these forums a big thank you). My problem now is that I want to run VMs in my server 2012 essentials. I would like one for torrents one for newsgroups and so on. I know that essentials doesn't come with hyper-v and was hoping you guys could suggest how I could achieve what I'm aiming for?

Would it be acceptable to run virtualbox inside the server host?

Cheers

Jay

You have 2012 or 2012 R2 Essentials?  You could run ESXi and accomplish everything if you only have 2012Essentials.

Thanks for the quick reply,

I have 2012 essentials not r2. But I know nothing of ESXI or what impact it would have on server performance and any difficulties migrating my bare metal essentials server over.

Cheers Jay.

You could convert the physical Essentials box to an ESXi file and run it from there.

Would that approach Impact on the performance of the server? And how much of a pain would it be to migrate the server?

Of course there is always some  effect on performance from using VMs. However, the size of the effect depends entirely on what those VMs are doing. What I usually suggest people do is simply try a VM or 2; test drive them, see if the effect is acceptable to you.