Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Lancaster

Cannot turn on remote access - hangs at setting up the router

Kevin Lancaster    0
Kevin Lancaster

I have a WHS2011 server and I am trying to turn on Remote Access. It was on but I turned it off a while ago, I have a new router and was trying to Turn Remote Access back on. 

Every time I try to turn it on it gets hung up at "Setting upthe router".

I have enabled UPNP, port forwarded 80, 443, and 4125, I have tried to turn on Remote Access with and without the "Skip the router setup" box checked, it always stops at the setting up the router stage...

stumped.

jmwills    283
jmwills

Forget the GUI and do it manually.  As long as you have opened and forwarded the correct ports to the correct IP, that step is not necessary.  When you've done this, turn off UPnP as it is a HUGE security risk.

ikon    420
ikon

I think jmwills can confirm but, if UPnP was working properly, I don't believe it would be necessary any ports to make RDP to work. After all, that's what UPnP is supposed  to do. Unfortunately, as jmwills said, it's a security risk and should never be enabled. Friends don't friends drive UPnP :)

Do it manually... it's just better that way.

Essexraptor    2
Essexraptor

Turn on Remote Web Access in dashboard

check the box to skip router set up

skip domain name set up

ensure you have a static IP set up on your Server  eg 192.168.0.100

access your router via browser

locate and note WAN address... eg.  87.168.276.127

set up the following port forwarding :

service ; HTTPS

type : TCP

port : 443

point to IP of server    eg. 192.168.0.100

apply settings and log out

you can log in remotely using the following address  87.168.276.127:443 (insert your own WAN address) ignore any certificate warning and you'll arrive at your remote log in page

You can test this on a mobile phone/cell using 3G or 4G service.... NOT logged into your home WiFi

Edited by Essexraptor

webapprentice    1
webapprentice

I have a similar issue.  I can not configure via dashboard so I set up manually.  I can access it from the internet just fine but when I am on the dashboard it says it is not configured. I am going to leave it as it is working but I would like the error to go away.    Also I change my password on my live account how do i change it on my domain in WHS 2011?   I 

jmwills    283
jmwills

domain in WHS 2011?  

WHS 2011 runs in a Workgroup, not a domain.

ikon    420
ikon

I have a similar issue.  I can not configure via dashboard so I set up manually.  I can access it from the internet just fine but when I am on the dashboard it says it is not configured. I am going to leave it as it is working but I would like the error to go away.    Also I change my password on my live account how do i change it on my domain in WHS 2011?   I 

Just ignore the error. It's caused by not using UPnP. Since we know what it is, it's not an error any more ;)

And jmwills is correct; WHS2011 cannot join a Domain.