RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

if you want your own email server on WHS

ikon

I know not many people want to do this, but I remember posts on Connect during the WHS beta from some who, like me, do not wish to trust their email hosting to a 3rd party. If you happen to be one of these, I can recommend Ability Mail Server from Code-Crafters.

AMS is not free; if fact I paid $140US for it. What I like about it is that it's lightweight and versatile. I run it, on my H340 WHS, as an NT service in flat file mode (i.e. no relational database), but it can be used with a backend database and it can also be run as a regular application instead of a service. It has its own built-in webmail server, and it can use alternate SMTP ports in case your ISP blocks port 25. It also supports IMAP and remote admin.

The main reason I run AMS in flat file mode is it makes it so easy to move it around. I've had it on 3 different computers so far; all I have to do is use its admin console to switch modes from NT service to application, then copy the entire AMS folder anywhere I want. I then run the console again and switch back to service mode. That's all there is to it.

DISCLAIMER: I am not associated in any way with Code-Crafters, nor am I receiving compensation of any kind for posting this. In fact, Code-Crafters isn't even aware I'm posting it. As they say on TV, I'm simply a satisfied customer offering an unsolicited commendation. :)

Would this product use the Home Server FQDN as the routing address? Seems like a little overkill for a product that was meant to be simple. Just my .03 (the Euro is losing value)

HMail server is what I'm using. very customizable, SPAM filtering and the like. It's pretty easy to configure with multiple domains or aliases per mailbox. I have 3 domains all receiving mail with it. I'm not using a webmail application, but squirrelmail should work with it.

Would this product use the Home Server FQDN as the routing address? Seems like a little overkill for a product that was meant to be simple. Just my .03 (the Euro is losing value)

Rather than using the WHS FQDN, I have it configured to use my own email domain — makes it independent of the WHS that way. Not quite sure why you think it's overkill, but OK. The reason I got AMS is because it is so simple to install and administer.

HMail server is what I'm using. very customizable, SPAM filtering and the like. It's pretty easy to configure with multiple domains or aliases per mailbox. I have 3 domains all receiving mail with it. I'm not using a webmail application, but squirrelmail should work with it.

For me, webmail was a requirement; I really like having the freedom to log in from any machine with a browser. The webmail client for AMS is not perfect but it's way way better than Squirrelmail, which I used for 2 years and learned to thoroughly dislike.