RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Drobo S + HP Home Server

surefoot

I would love to try that! I've talked about it on the show several times but haven't had the $$$ to put out for it (hint, hint Drobo!) At $800, the WAF is still a bit low. Maybe I will put a call into Drobo?

I bought a drobo about two months ago and have it connected to a windows home server using an atom MSI Wind Nettop 100. I am very happy with it connected via usb. Right now there are three cavier green terabyte drives. I do not use it for encoding, only file serving and streaming. I wish I would have waited for the S, but then I would have to get a real computer to take advantage of the esata.

According to the term you guys use "wife acceptance factor" I have it the family room, the wife has know idea what it is and it is dead silent.

justrichpower - you the man! just never let her read the forums!

Out of the 3TB drives, how much does WHS see? Have you done any benchmarking on data transfer speeds to the drobo? Would you be open to it if I asked and pointed you towards a tool?

Can we give "Coolness" points on this forum?

By the way...Jim, Chris, and Dave(me) will be talking with Drobo at Showstoppers in Vegas. It's an even that is going on at CES. Can't wait.

Jim, how much does the windows home server see. I wish I had a simple answer. Let's break it down. The drobo comes with software, Drobo Dashboard, to essentially build an array (not sure that's the term they use). You need to tell the software the size you want to build, from my reading, this is want the maximum size you eventually want the drobo to be. So I made the drobo 8tb, thinking I would eventually have four 2tbs.

So my 3 tb drobo is 1.8tb worth of free space. You have probably messed with the drobo calculator
http://www.drobo.com/resources/drobocalculator.php

So to answer your question, my home server sees one drive of 8tb with approx. 1.8 free. I turned file duplication off.

My transfer usb speeds are from 20mb/s to 30b/s using hd speed http://www.steelbytes.com/?mid=20

I am open to using something else.

Which is not great, but it fits my storage needs.
I have a macbook with SSd drive and a quadcore with velicaptors - that is where I depend on speed.

I hope that you get to try the esata drobo, with whs in a virtual machine. Maybe send a tweet to @scottbourne, see if he might know someone to hook you up with a demo unit.

With regards to being "the man", as long as I keep the place clean and minimal noise/clutter - We're cool and my wife's eye glaze over when I start talk about drobo, arrays, let alone lights out, whs mobile, etc.

My setup in the living room is a whs, a drobo, WD 250gb drive to backup the whs & database, a hackinstosh shuttle PC with logitech dinovo and an xbox 360 as my media extender.

"My setup in the living room is a whs, a drobo, WD 250gb drive to backup the whs & database, a hackinstosh shuttle PC with logitech dinovo and an xbox 360 as my media extender."

Ha! You are indeed "the man" if you've gotten your wife to tolerate all that. btw - I have that Dinovo keyboard. It's awesome!

So what you guys are saying is, Not a worth while expenditure since I will not get any bonus with going with a Drobo vs Sans Digital. As in I will not be able to turn off Folder Duplication and let the Drobo handle it (seeing how I already have drives in the HP EX495). Please let me know if my though process here is wrong :)

Why would you rather have the Drobo handle it? The WHS handles things much more efficiently, IMHO, by being able to have share-level duplication instead of all or nothing.