RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

Tools

LoneWolf

Not to be left out -- the Swiss Army Cybertool 34 (possibly cheaper from other vendors)

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-CyberTool-Translucent-Pocket/dp/B0007QCP50/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396648931&sr=8-1&keywords=cybertool+34

I have yet to meet a laptop or server I cannot disassemble with this.  They started making them in 1998; my first one lasted ten years (still in storage as a backup) and I am on my second.  My last job, I got sent so many places without the necessary tools because I wasn't told what to expect --and this did the job.

sacy34_a.jpg

Edited by LoneWolf

ikon

I have a kit very much like that. In fact, it may be that exact kit. :)

timekills

OK here is where we get into the weird tools.

Dental tools-picks-scrapers-mirrors, cheap and handy. Ebay is a great source:

www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xdental+tools&_nkw=dental+tools&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Locking hemostats are great for holding small items or wires while soldering:

www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=dental+tools&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1311.R1.TR7.TRC2.A0.H0.Xhemast&_nkw=hemostats&_sacat=0

Totally agree about hemostats. I have a SiL who's a nurse; she's gotten me a few over the years.

Not computer related, but hemostats - especially the locking ones -  are excellent fish hook removal tools. Even from fish (*cough*).

schoondoggy

I have a locking hemostat and a wire cutting pliers in my tackle box. Great combo for removing hooks from people. Have only needed to do it once.

ikon

More of a tip than a tool per se, although no one has mentioned these handy little guys to date:

screwdriver2%5D.jpg

Don't know about the rest of you, but I've always had issues with the bit falling out of the grip on these screwdrivers. I got around the issue by applying a thin layer of clear nail polish to each end of the screwdriver (not the actual tip, just the last inch of the shaft). I thought about using coloured nail polish, so I could see when it has worn off, but I decided I didn't want bits of bright nail polish in my shirt pocket. Besides, It's pretty easy to tell when I need to reapply nail polish just by feeling how well the bit is holding into the grip.