RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Using Roaming Profiles in the home

jmwills

Damed auto correct.

Lose your internet connection and you lose your data. I'd keep it local and then sync the server to the cloud.

True to a point - if you use the local sync option of OneDrive then you've got local access if you lose your internet connection.  That being said, I realize this becomes simply another option of several very valid ones...

Thanks everyone for the pretty much unanimous feedback. :) Sounds like roaming profiles will cause me the same kind of grief as Mobile Accounts does on OSX server. It's too bad because on paper it seems like a really cool solution.

That said, folder redirection sounds like it might do most of what I want anyway and is a lot easier and more reliable. The next question then is, do I set it up using my WHS 2011 box or do I just use Skydrive? I don't keep a lot of stuff in my home folders so I probably wouldn't run into a size limitation if I chose to use Skydrive.

jmwills

Create a new Library location and make that new location the server folder and the default save location.

Create a new Library location and make that new location the server folder and the default save location.

So this brings me to another question:  It seems that there is a (subtle?) distinction between what you just described, which is taking advantage of Windows 7/8's "Library" concept and including a server folder into the "Documents" library - and actually changing the location of your local My Documents folder to some folder on the server.  The latter *I think* is the folder redirection that jem101 was referring to.  I just tried doing it both ways, and the first way (adding a folder to the Documents Library) certainly seems simpler.  Plus, it looks like folder redirection requires windows 7/8 professional because that allows offline folder sync.