RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Faking the fan signal

MihaiT

Thanks for the clarification. I guess just grounding the locked rotor pin was too easy. :D

FIrst time I've grounded it to only one of the GND pins and iLo freaked out. After that I've said to myself, why the hell is there a loop between those pins, tried again and BINGO!

If a moderator can cut the first post and edit the title to: "Faking the fan signal", that'd be great. 

Thanks!

FIrst time I've grounded it to only one of the GND pins and iLo freaked out. After that I've said to myself, why the hell is there a loop between those pins, tried again and BINGO!

If a moderator can cut the first post and edit the title to: "Faking the fan signal", that'd be great.

Thanks!

I do not have one of these machines but nevertheless enjoyed reading your posts. Nice hack, nice piece of work!

Hello,

Do you mind explaining it a bit more step by step? :)

A fan mod is something Im basically DYING for and you would make my day :)

I think I basically understand; Attach all wires (including attaching 5 and 6 to the same wire and attaching that to Pin 1) and done...

I am very intresting in doing this using a Noctua NF-S12A. 120mm, Noctuna and most silent fan they have in that size.

Thanks MihaiT

Edited by riahc3

Thanks!

Title edited.  I also revised the first post.

Hello,

I think I might have to try this out. I think my PCs main front fan is also 120mm so if this fails, I will just replace that one.

Im still getting my server back in a week (I hope, will call on monday and see how it is doing) so until then....

Edited by riahc3

Hello,

Do you mind explaining it a bit more step by step? :)

A fan mod is something Im basically DYING for and you would make my day :)

I think I basically understand; Attach all wires (including attaching 5 and 6 to the same wire and attaching that to Pin 1...

Be careful, the motherboard is a fragile piece of electronics and you can damage it rapidly and  ireversibly.

If you don't have a clear understanding of what needs to be done, just ask a friend who's knowledgeable to help you.

If you don't connect stuff properly you can damage the motherboard.

Be patient! It's better to have a working server than nothing.

You have the following options: 

No. 1) Simply trick iLo into believing that there's a fan present.  

Connect pins 4, 5, 6 between them, and leave untouched ( NOT connected ) pins 1,2,3. - as shown in post #10, 2nd figure.

You'll need a separate fan controller to spin the fan.

No. 2) Use a normal 4 wire pwn fan with lower rpm.

Connect pins 4,5,6 together in order to fake the fan presence.

Connect new fan's:

- +12V wire to pin 1

- GND  wire to pin 5/6

- PWM wire to pin 3

It is mandatory to buy a fan that won't stop when the speed control signal goes to ground ( very low to no signal on the pwm wire).

No. 3) You buy a fan that has rotation detect/ locked rotor output  and make an adapter as in the post #10, 3rd picture.

No. 4) It might be possible to use a resistive voltage divider to lower the control voltage supplied to the fan.

This will reduce the fan's rpm, but I'm not sure about this one and I have to study it a little more.

HTH.

Edited by MihaiT

Be careful, the motherboard is a fragile piece of electronics and you can damage it rapidly and  ireversibly.

If you don't have a clear understanding of what needs to be done, just ask a friend who's knowledgeable to help you.

If you don't connect stuff properly you can damage the motherboard.

Be patient! It's better to have a working server than nothing.

Thank you for your friendly warning :)

You have the following options: 

No. 1) Simply trick iLo into believing that there's a fan present.  

Connect pins 4, 5, 6 between them, and leave untouched ( NOT connected ) pins 1,2,3. - as shown in post #10, 2nd figure.

You'll need a separate fan controller to spin the fan.

Im intrested in this one :)

I dont understand though why would I need a seperate fan controller; Would a simple Molex power adapter be enough? I am willing to sacrifice fan control.

No. 2) Use a normal 4 wire pwn fan with lower rpm.

Connect pins 4,5,6 together in order to fake the fan presence.

Connect new fan's:

- +12V wire to pin 1

- GND  wire to pin 5/6

- PWM wire to pin 3

It is mandatory to buy a fan that won't stop when the speed control signal goes to ground ( very low to no signal on the pwm wire).

This is basically the same as first one, right?

The rest of the method, although sound good, Im not too intrested in trying.

If you don't want to control the fan's speed, then yes, a simple molex adapter would do! :)

The 2nd method is like the first one but you do something with the PWM control signal ( pin3 ) by feeding it to a PWM fan :).

If you don't want to control the fan's speed, then yes, a simple molex adapter would do!

The 2nd method is like the first one but you do something with the PWM control signal ( pin3 ) by feeding it to a PWM fan .

Seeing as this has been hard of enough of a discovery made by you, I think we can pretty much forget about fan control

The second method you make it sound like you DO use the PWM control signal from the onboard fan controller...

Im sorry for not understanding some of this.