RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Lab server build recommendations

oj88

I intend to build a lab server at home to practice everything from Lync 2013 to System Center 2012 to SQL 2012. Everything will be virtualized using Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V.

Will the following work?

Motherboard: Asrock H77 Pro4-M

CPU: i7-3770

Memory: GSkill ARES 16GB (8GBX2) DDR3 1600/F3-1600C10D-16GAO

LAN: HP 331T 4-port Gigabit

I was originally looking for a Q77 board but apparently, it's not quite popular here and none of the PC enthusiast shops sell them. I had to settle for the consumer model. I didn't get the Z77 as I don't intend to overclock it.... same reason I didn't get the unlocked i7 3770 (the one with the "k").

As for RAM, I'm starting off with just 16GB and will upgrade to 32GB when budget permits or if my projects demand for more.

I haven't looked at HDDs but I think a pair of 500GB 7200RPM SATA3 drives in RAID0 should do.

Please tell me what you think.

• 1 year later...

I'm no expert by far but this should more or less be fine.  I have a number of friends that have built white box servers with consumer hardware and despite some limitations they have been more then happy.  One of my current servers is running an intel DQ67SW mobo with some issues.  Worst case you'll have to work around a few issues but then you'll learn something along the way.

• Like 2