RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

Adding an Extra Router to my Network as an Access Point

ikon

The only rule-of-thumb I've found is to try repositioning until you get the best signal you can. You're probably too young to remember, but perhaps you've seen movie scenes or old TV shows where they show people moving the "rabbit ear" antennas around to get the best TV reception. It really is that simple; just keep trying until you get the best signal you can. That's where the tool linked to by schoondoggy can really help. As you move the antennas around, keep checking the signal in the tool. When you get the best signal you can, stop :)

Jason

Makes sense. Will try that app to measure signal strength.

Also, if I add another AP in a remote part of house, can I use a common SSID so devices will roam and detect stronger AP signal? The AP would be wired.

ikon

Absolutely yes to the same SSID.

The one thing I would avoid is using the same wireless channel. I don't know if yours does (Ubquiti ones do for sure), but some wireless routers have a feature that scans for neighbouring Access Points, tells you what channels they're using, and indicates what signal strength they have at your location. This can help you pick channels that don't conflict with neighbouring routers. And, as I said, you should avoid having conflicting channels on your own routers.

Royco

This thread inspired me to place a second access point on the attic. It is a TP-Link TL-WA850RE flashed with OpenWRT, which I had laying around unused. I pulled a cable from my router to the attic and connected it to the lan port. The router is on channel 6 and access point 2 on channel 11. Both share the same SSID.

It works fine mostly, except I've some issues with my Apple Ipad mini. Seems like I've to toggle the Wi-Fi connection on-off to re-establish a connection, when I move to different rooms. Anyone have the same issue with two access points?

Royco

Seems like this is iOS issue and not easy to solve. What would happen if I put both APs on the same channel?

Edited by Royco

jmwills

Don't put them on the same channel.  This sounds like a device error.  I have three, all on different channels (1-6-11).  Works like a charm and I would test with another device before making any changes.

awraynor

Don't know if this will help anyone but I wrote this for the Digital Media Zone a few months ago and covers what I do.

http://www.thedigitalmediazone.com/2015/05/27/extending-wireless-network/

Just installed some ethernet over powerline adapters. Getting 8 out of 60 Mbps while wireless to the same area is hitting around 50 out of 60.

Interesting in that the upload speeds are the same everywhere, 4 up.

Jason

I still cannot believe they sell power line adapters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nrf

I have been watching powerline for a long time but never attempted it. the technology is truly a case of YMMV. the powerline is a challenging environment and every situation is different.