RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

Adding an Extra Router to my Network as an Access Point

Joe_Miner

I have this extra Router I got as a Free-bee and was trying to decided the best way to use it as an Access Point in my home network -- I've read pro's & con's about setting it up with the same SSID & PW as my main router -- what have you done?   I like the idea of the same SSID & PW if the portable device (wife's iPad or my laptop for instance) would switch over to the stronger signal as I move about but was concerned that if it locked on a signal from one device on the far-side of the property it would stay locked on that signal even if I moved to the other far-side of the property.....

jmwills

I use this and it works great.  Same password and SSID so you can go from one zone to another with no issues.  Just make sure you put the new AP on a different channel (solves the locking issue) and give it a Static IP in the DHCP pool.

Joe_Miner

Thanks

ikon

What jmwills said. Just be sure that you DO NOT connect the Ethernet cable into the WAN port of the router. To use it as an AP you MUST connect it one of the switch/LAN ports. You didn't say which make/model of router it is, but most of today's routers have 4 Ethernet LAN ports and 1 WAN Ethernet port. Any one of the 4 LAN ports should be fine.

There should only be 1 Ethernet cable connected to the router.

jmwills

^^  Well, duh :)

ikon

True, it is 'duh', but I've seen too many knowledgable people connect to the WAN port and then wonder why nothing's working.

jmwills

Those are the ones we send back to the 1980's

Dave

I picked up a couple of Airport Extremes on the cheap and use for this purpose.  I get good throughput on the 5.8 band and the guest network is cool.  If you can afford it, the Ubiquiti products work pretty good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1EA0CD6556

Newegg.com has them on sale right now too.  You need a POE switch and they are not 5.8, and only 150Mbps throughput.  They have a pro product that is 300Mbps but this is 3 AP's.  Very cool.  I would like to try it out!

ikon

I've always found the Ubiquiti gear to be very reasonably priced and well built.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Looking for a new router and AP and came across this thread.

For the ubiquiti, do you read that as POE only or POE option. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1EA0CD6556&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=5334937&SID=skim17214X742339X055dce2ff625d1c2989d426a059ff569

Anyone have any recommendations for a router and AP if above link is POE only?