RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

B120i performance benchmarks?

tangcla

So, I'm thinking of adding an additional drive (four in total) to run a RAID10 array, and considering selling the P222 and just running it off the B120i... as long as the performance penalty isn't too bad. What do you al think?

Has anyone done a performance benchmark on the B120i on how it fares?

I haven't tested, but I'd guess not too bad, as parity calculations won't be required.  The biggest point of a hardware RAID controller is being able to do that.

You will lose the ability to do hardware-level RAID migration though, and some of the fancier features a P222 can do, so upgrading to a larger array will require more effort should you choose to do so.  You'll also lose caching, which can definitely benefit performance.  Finally, you will go down to two drives operating at 6Gbps and two operating at 3Gbps (limitation of the Intel C204 server chipset), whereas with the P222, all four drives operate at 6Gbps speeds.  This is far beyond the limits of drive performance, but something to note.

I run my boot RAID-0 array on the B120i just fine.  Of course, it's SSDs, both being run at 6Gbps. :D

Edited by LoneWolf
  • Like 1

Thanks for that. Out of that list, the biggest concern would be if I were to upgrade my RAID array.

The remainder shouldn't be an issue - ultimately, it's going to be limited by the fact that I am going to be sending data via GbE anyway, so 120MB/sec is the theoretical maximum I can reach.

So, I'm thinking of adding an additional drive (four in total) to run a RAID10 array, and considering selling the P222 and just running it off the B120i... as long as the performance penalty isn't too bad. What do you al think?

Has anyone done a performance benchmark on the B120i on how it fares?

Real world performance -- IMHO, you're not going to notice it unless you were doing some REALLY serious database manipulation on the Gen8 and needed all the drive performance you can get.

I didn't compare RAID10 but I have compared RAID1 & RAID0 between the B120i and the P222 -- the big difference IMHO is the P222's cache does give it a big boost.

The charts are in the album on the posting http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5980-has-anyone-loaded-run-whs-2011-on-a-gen8/?p=79132

If you can wait I probably can provide some WD red raid 10 benchmarks around the 15th of the month. However this would be run from within WHS 2011 on a g1610t with 4gb of ram.

Sure, I'm in no rush! I probably won't do anything drastic (path of least resistance) though I think I should probably look at getting a fourth drive and run RAID10 anyway.

Sure, I'm in no rush! I probably won't do anything drastic (path of least resistance) though I think I should probably look at getting a fourth drive and run RAID10 anyway.

Ok Ill post when I've run them.

As for your thoughts this is exactly what I thought about it's cheaper to pack the gen 8 with 4 x 4tb drives and run raid 10 than it is to buy a p222 and have 4x3tb's I know there is a slight shortfall in capacity. But I do really like the idea of having more fault tolerance than is needed. I've had way too many raid 5 arrays die because of disk failures on rebuild. if I expand the unit to a p222 I will be just having a bigger raid 10 array via an external cage.

p.s before someone harps on about backup.

I do. But moving 4+tb of data takes soooo long!

Edited by stix01

Ok Ill post when I've run them.

As for your thoughts this is exactly what I thought about it's cheaper to pack the gen 8 with 4 x 4tb drives and run raid 10 than it is to buy a p222 and have 4x3tb's I know there is a slight shortfall in capacity. But I do really like the idea of having more fault tolerance than is needed. I've had way too many raid 5 arrays die because of disk failures on rebuild. if I expand the unit to a p222 I will be just having a bigger raid 10 array via an external cage.

p.s before someone harps on about backup.

I do. But moving 4+tb of data takes soooo long!

What?  No 4x4TB RAID-6 array and add a 2GB cache module to a P222?  The ULTIMATE in redundancy!!! :D

What? No 4x4TB RAID-6 array and add a 2GB cache module to a P222? The ULTIMATE in redundancy!!! :D

Quite true.. I actually wish hp had some other offerings in the card department.. I'd prefer to see a 2x 6gb sata add in for the $125 usd or there abouts or a 4 port raid 0 , 1 & 10 6gb that was cheap. The p222 is so expensive for home.